Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#79776 by AdolfbinStreisand
Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:36 pm
I've had a couple new people call me for the first time on cell phones. They are NOT in my directory, but their info is coming through on callerID.

I didn't think there was a cell phone registry. Where is Ooma getting the info for cell phones for CallerID? Not complaining, just curious.
#79780 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:24 pm
Are you saying that you can see incoming callerid on your Ooma when callers are calling from cell phones?

Ooma is showing the same info that these guys get http://tnid.org do a search on a number.

The info comes from CNAM database. AT&T registers their customer names into CNAM, Verizon doesn't so if a Verizon cell phone calls, chances are, you'd see the number but you won't see the name (name would probably show up as "wireless caller").
#79783 by AdolfbinStreisand
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:57 pm
No. I mean that a first time caller to me on on a cell phone came up with their name on my caller id. I made sure the person was not in my contacts (i knew they couldn't be). Additionally, i went to the tnid.us site and entered this person's number, and they had no info associated with it.

How else could the person have been ID'd? Is Ooma sharing contacts? So perhaps he was in someone else's contacts and the info is passed to me?
#79854 by nn5i
Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:58 am
AdolfbinStreisand wrote:No. I mean that a first time caller to me on on a cell phone came up with their name on my caller id. I made sure the person was not in my contacts (i knew they couldn't be). Additionally, i went to the tnid.us site and entered this person's number, and they had no info associated with it.

How else could the person have been ID'd? Is Ooma sharing contacts? So perhaps he was in someone else's contacts and the info is passed to me?

If Lbmofo is correct that "AT&T registers their customer names into CNAM", then perhaps that cell phone calling you was an AT&T cell phone. Truly that doesn't seem difficult.