Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#79545 by don55
Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:30 pm
I just purchased a new OOMA Telo and discovered I would have to have a totally different phone #, which was not a problem in itself. However, when I both attempted to acquire a new phone via the OOMA website during the activation process and also when I spoke directly over the phone with the OOMA CSR, I discovered that there weren't any #'s available in any of the 3 area codes for my state, which is Arkansas. I had to use a phone # from our neighboring state to the west...Oklahoma. Now I am using a 918-Oklahoma phone #. I did not mind this small inconvenience for the time being as I wanted to get the OOMA service activated while I was off work today, and also the CSR advised me that Arkansas area code #'s were forthcoming. Arkansas has 3 area codes: 501, 870, and 479...and nothing was available???!!! I was amazed when the CSR advised me that there was not even an available # for 501, which is the Little Rock area, the most populous area in the state!

OOMA states on https://www.ooma.com/micro/faq.html under the question tab in the FAQs section "What about a phone #? How do people reach me?" with the answer being: "When you register your Ooma device online, you will get to pick a new phone number in any area code in the US (except Alaska). If you’d like to keep your current phone number in most cases Ooma can transfer your existing phone number for a one-time fee." It says you get to pick a new phone number in ANY area code in the US. I found this not to be true. I was also told by the CSR that when Arkansas #'s become available, I can change over to one of them for 19.99???? I do not think this is fair. I have to pay extra because OOMA had no Arkansas phone numbers available?

My questions are these: 1) Why do you sell your OOMA devices in areas that you cannot supply new phone #'s within those area code areas to new subscribers? 2) When will new Arkansas #'s (preferably my area code, 479) be available? and 3) Can the 19.99 be waived when a correct # for my area code is available, seeing that this was not my fault?

Thank you.
#79547 by nn5i
Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:51 pm
It's not all bad. Think of the improved public image, seeing that people will think you're an Okie instead of an Arkie.

Old song:

Dear Oakie, if you see Arkie,
Tell him Tex has got a job fer him out in Califo-nie,
Pickin' up prunes, squeezin' oil out of olives...

Rakin' up gold, playin' fiddle in the follies...

Now he'll be lucky if he finds a place to live,
But there's orange juice fountains flowin' for those kids of his...

Diggin' oil wells, all he needs is a shovel...

More seriously, I do agree with you that Ooma ought not to advertise what they cannot deliver; and should not charge you if in future you're able to change to the Area Code of your preference. Also, of course, they owe you an apology, and perhaps a generous rebate.
#79551 by don55
Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:15 pm
LOL. Thanks for the humorous reply and appreciate the empathy. From your forum user ID, you must be an AR operator. So am I. Got my first ticket in 1969. 73!
#79553 by rodwed
Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:24 pm
For what it is worth. I had a friend encounter the same problem here in
Alabama. There were no AL area codes available. We had to get one in GA. Anyway Ooma set us up a ticket to contact us when a local # was available. It took 3 weeks. Not too much of an inconvenience.
Another for what it is worth, is that I heard that Google was buying up all the #s. That is another way for you to have a local # until Ooma comes around.
#79564 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:40 am
I was going to suggest signing up for Google Voice and then forwarding your Google Voice # to your Ooma number but even Google Voice doesn't have any numbers in those mentioned area codes other than 918.
#79573 by nn5i
Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:30 am
don55 wrote:LOL. Thanks for the humorous reply and appreciate the empathy. From your forum user ID, you must be an AR operator. So am I. Got my first ticket in 1969. 73!

Yup, my first callsign (1958) was KN4SCK. 73!
#79575 by don55
Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:57 am
rodwed wrote:For what it is worth. I had a friend encounter the same problem here in
Alabama. There were no AL area codes available. We had to get one in GA. Anyway Ooma set us up a ticket to contact us when a local # was available. It took 3 weeks. Not too much of an inconvenience.
Another for what it is worth, is that I heard that Google was buying up all the #s. That is another way for you to have a local # until Ooma comes around.

Ok, well that doesn't sound too bad. Thanks very much for the info!