Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#79126 by nn5i
Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:56 am
It would be nice to be able to specify quiet hours -- that is, a time period during the day when my phones would not ring; instead all incoming calls would go to voice mail. I like to sleep in.

It would also be nice if the quiet hours could be different on weekends from what they are on weekdays.

It would also be desirable to be able to impose quiet hours on individual callers by phone number. That is, Joe at 555-555-5555 can't ring through between 1 am and 5 am, but others can. This should be in addition to the quiet hours during which no one can ring through.

I have already implemented all this on my own call-monitoring system (which runs on a PC and sits between Ooma and my phones), but it would be a nice general feature for Ooma.
#79128 by WayneDsr
Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:18 am
I like this. Would be very handy.

Wayne
#79130 by tomcat
Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:08 am
I like this, too, with the addition of a whitelist so the the wife, daughter, or son could always get through regardless of the settings.
#79136 by dsinternet
Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 am
I love this idea. The white list would be the big seller for me. I would want my family to be able to call anytime.
#79168 by southsound
Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:26 pm
Carl, another case where your expertise and inventiveness could really add to a product's appeal. I don't know of any other consumer phone product that does this - Google Voice implements some but not all of what you have described. I wonder if sending a PM to Dennis P with an offer to help the marketing and engineering folks to understand the value of such offerings might be welcomed? A lot of the folks on the forum have thought about such features but you have actually implemented them and can share some of the benefits with those who could move the idea onto the radar screen. Of course, you expertise should be appreciated in a financial way - but what a marketing treat to tell people that they can make their phone system integrate seamlessly into their personal lifestyle instead of being a nuisance and hindrance to that lifestyle as phones are now.
#79213 by nn5i
Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:44 am
Thanks for the good words, SouthSound. These are rather easy things to implement, though, and I think the way to persuade Ooma (or anyone else) of their marketing value is simply to suggest them here and read the reactions. Ooma doesn't need my help with that.

My own system goes a little farther -- I can impose different quiet hours on individual phones, which would be difficult for Ooma without hardware changes; and I can specify, for each phone (up to eight of them) whether it can call out during its quiet hours. This was to make it useful for my friends who are parents and who put extensions in kids' rooms. If call-out is forbidden during quiet hours, existing calls are also disconnected when quiet hours start -- so the kids get some sleep. Ooma can't do that without hardware changes (additional phone sockets, individually controllable), but the rest of it (described in the original post) would probably be easy in firmware and even easier in the servers.

Anyway, I'm retired; my own system is not for sale -- if it were, it would be improper to describe it here -- and I'm not looking for consulting work. Consulting work is -- well -- work! But anyone is invited to use these ideas, free.
Last edited by nn5i on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
#79216 by nn5i
Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:48 am
tomcat wrote:I like this, too, with the addition of a whitelist so the the wife, daughter, or son could always get through regardless of the settings.

My system doesn't have whitelist, but -- by golly -- it's a good idea. I'm going to add it; it will be very easy to add. I didn't mention that I do have a way to allow individual callers to override quiet hours (by first doing a one-ring call, and then calling back immediately) -- but that's hard for my friends to remember.
#81322 by Falcon
Fri May 13, 2011 10:57 am
This has been a long outstanding request by many people. It was one of the first requests I made as a new customer over two years ago. It's still a good idea and would definitely be appreciated for Ooma to provide this distinctive feature.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=532
#81339 by EA PA
Fri May 13, 2011 1:03 pm
I would like to pile onto these great ideas (and repeat, in support of). It would be nice, for ease of configuration to have on / off times either as a 1 time (special movie time), and recurring (sleep time), and defined days (weekend only), maybe with features and format similar to a digital thermostat.
#81349 by southsound
Fri May 13, 2011 4:16 pm
EA PA wrote:similar to a digital thermostat.

I like that. It could sense the demeanor of the person calling and decide whether to not to pass the call. Your boss calls to tell you you messed up - voice mail. He calls to tell you about a promotion to make you department head - it goes through with a special ring.