Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#78920 by CodeMasterG
Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:13 pm
I'd like to be able to disable the HD Voice feature via My Ooma account so that the normal codec is used. The hope is that this feature might help those experiencing call quality issues (delay, echo, etc.) who don't typically call others with HD voice service. I know I can dial *98 for outbound calls, but have no ability to control inbound and I would like to able to control codec use through a configurable setting.
#78931 by thunderbird
Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:39 pm
CodeMasterG:

Check and see of you have the new Ooma Telo 45073 Firmware update. The firmware might correct your problem.

View topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11265

Dial *#*#001 to speak the firmware version is only valid after you have received your NEW Ooma Telo 45073 Firmware update. An easy way to tell if you have the NEW 45073 Firmware update is when you push any of the buttons on the Ooma Telo, there will be beeps or Voice Statements.

If you want, you can view your current version of Firmware by accessing you Ooma Setup pages with a computer's wired LAN port connected with a network cable to the Ooma device's Home port. Restart you computer. Type in http://172.27.35.1 in your computer's browser window and the Ooma Setup page opens.

Also you may be able to call Ooma Customer Support and have them make the changes that you request, but first wait for the latest Ooma Telo Firmware update, if you don't alreay have it, to make that your problem is already corrected.
#78934 by Davesworld
Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:56 pm
There is no need. Unless you are calling from an Ooma number to another Ooma number, using a Telo and NOT a hub, and using either a corded phone or a Telo handset on BOTH ends of the call, there is no way you are going to use HD voice in the first place. If any path in the call cannot support the frequency range of the g.722 codec, it is automatically negotiated to a "normal" narrowband codec, this negotiation happens long before anyone's phone rings. 99% of the calls you make are routed from Ooma to the PSTN and HD voice will be disabled by default. An Ooma to Ooma call where both have Telos and either a corded phone or Telo handset will not experience the problems you seek to avoid since they do not route outside the network.

It's actually quite difficult to be able to use HD. The only way you could use it outside of Ooma is if the other party is using VOIP over equipment that will support it such as many IP Phones and Ooma allowed you to put their actual sip address in a directory or something to override their ten digit phone number. HD voice conferences which happen quite often and have for some time now are put on by enthusiasts and providers of capable equipment and connected to via a sip address. Other ATA's besides the Telo have long since been capable of HD Voice (g.722) but as Dennis rightly pointed out, no cordless phones on the market can use it, not even my Siemens SL785 with it's analog base station even though the included SL78H handset when married to one of Siemens IP Phones can use it and is often used in the events I mentioned. It seems as though most DECT phones use the g.726 codec between the handset and the base.
#78936 by Davesworld
Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:01 pm
I am wondering if it is the PureVoice feature than you seek to disable since they lumped HD and PureVoice into one marketing term. There should be no packet loss in North America over a wired broadband connection so this redundancy is not needed or desired. If you do have packet loss, this is an isp issue and should be corrected.
#78989 by CodeMasterG
Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:36 pm
thunderbird wrote:CodeMasterG:

Check and see of you have the new Ooma Telo 45073 Firmware update. The firmware might correct your problem.

View topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11265

Dial *#*#001 to speak the firmware version is only valid after you have received your NEW Ooma Telo 45073 Firmware update. An easy way to tell if you have the NEW 45073 Firmware update is when you push any of the buttons on the Ooma Telo, there will be beeps or Voice Statements.

If you want, you can view your current version of Firmware by accessing you Ooma Setup pages with a computer's wired LAN port connected with a network cable to the Ooma device's Home port. Restart you computer. Type in http://172.27.35.1 in your computer's browser window and the Ooma Setup page opens.

Also you may be able to call Ooma Customer Support and have them make the changes that you request, but first wait for the latest Ooma Telo Firmware update, if you don't alreay have it, to make that your problem is already corrected.

I don't seem to have this fimrware version yet, how long does it normally take to get an update?
#78991 by nn5i
Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:03 pm
Far out! The OP made what seems a modest request, and one that is perfectly feasible and -- I'm guessing -- would be simple to implement. Result? A bunch of people tell him why he doesn't want or need it. Imagine: you walk into a store and tell the salesman you want a 60-inch TV set. He merely tells you that you don't need a 60-inch TV, that a 50-inch TV is big enough for anybody. Would he get your business? He wouldn't get mine, for sure. Ever.