Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#76928 by tomcat
Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:29 pm
The following page doesn't answer the question that it's title suggests so I thought I'd raise the question here.

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54

My wife and I are fairly happy with the Ooma service (despite having to dial *98 for some calls) and are trying to decide on whether to port our number or use landline integration. We've read about the premier features that do not work with integration and don't consider them to be a problem since we may not continue with premier after the trial period anyway. We also like the idea of having a landline that works during power outages. On the other hand, we both like the idea of not having the phone bill every month.

Which brings me to my question... if we port our number over to Ooma and then sometime down the road (whenever and for whatever reason) can our number be ported back out from Ooma?
#76935 by nextbond
Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 pm
If you go with the landline integration, you are still paying ATT etc over and above what you paid for the Ooma.

The goal is to cut the RBOC bill out completely and enjoy VOIP service with OOMA.
#76999 by DTMF
Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:04 pm
FWIW, most of the effort on a port happens at the service you are porting to, rather than the service you are porting from. When considering a move, the next service's track record on ports matters more than that of the current service. ;)
#77125 by tomcat
Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:47 am
nextbond wrote:If you go with the landline integration, you are still paying ATT etc over and above what you paid for the Ooma.

The goal is to cut the RBOC bill out completely and enjoy VOIP service with OOMA.

I agree, but even removing our long distance service will save us quite a bit of money.
#77691 by nibes
Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:24 pm
You may be interested in my experience. I ported my number to Ooma and used Ooma for about 6 months, but my service just was not good enough. Probably due to the fact that my internet service, although plenty fast, is an unwired broadband service since I'm in the country with no land line or cable based internet service. I'm not the technical expert to tell you why it was a problem, but no matter what I did, I experienced those awful delays between talking and listening just like when you have a poor cellphone connection. I loved saving the AT&T bills, but it just wasn't worth it.

Anyway, about 6 weeks ago I ported my number back to AT&T, took about 2 days and happily I have phone service once again that is reliable without the maddening delays I was experiencing. Then last Friday, no dial tone. Call AT&T for repair, they say the number is not theirs! Turns out that Ooma leases services from other providers, and when you port your number to them, they in turn port it to a 3rd party they contract with for service to your home. So here's where it gets interesting: Ooma changed the 3rd party they contract with for my area, and since they never told anyone that they didn't have my number any longer, one 3rd party contractor gave my number to the other 3 party and zippo, they disconnect me from AT&T.

It would be called slamming except that it wasn't done with malicious intent. Only happened because Ooma didn't bother to tell anyone for over 6 weeks that they no longer owned my number.

So - just beware of this is you ever change your mind and want your number back. I've got my problem fixed as of next Wednesday, but it took me about 2 hours on the phone with Ooma and AT&T to finally figure out what actually happened and how to fix it. And now I will have another "new" account with AT&T and all the nonsense of establishing service.
#77694 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:06 pm
nibes wrote:Anyway, about 6 weeks ago I ported my number back to AT&T, took about 2 days and happily I have phone service once again that is reliable without the maddening delays I was experiencing. Then last Friday, no dial tone. Call AT&T for repair, they say the number is not theirs! Turns out that Ooma leases services from other providers, and when you port your number to them, they in turn port it to a 3rd party they contract with for service to your home. So here's where it gets interesting: Ooma changed the 3rd party they contract with for my area, and since they never told anyone that they didn't have my number any longer, one 3rd party contractor gave my number to the other 3 party and zippo, they disconnect me from AT&T.

It would be called slamming except that it wasn't done with malicious intent. Only happened because Ooma didn't bother to tell anyone for over 6 weeks that they no longer owned my number.

Somebody wasn't telling you the full story/truth. Porting a number requires request/confirm/concur etc events all registered through a national database called NPAC. Once a port happens, the whole world knows who has your number; this is how call routing happens. 1 phone company can't arbitrarily decide to port your number over without the other phone company validating data/agreeing on a date and such. I think your port to Ooma got triggered by mistake (and not "old 3rd party gave your number to new 3rd party") and the porting process to Ooma replayed itself. If you look at your number on tnid.org, you'll most likely see AT&T to an Ooma carrier, to AT&T and then to another Ooma carrier, then back to AT&T.
#78246 by kieranmullen
Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:57 pm
Yes, but I woul port hom number to mobile phone (which is usually free0 then port it to google voice which only ports numbers from cell companies for $20 then you can have multi ring and voicemail transcription for free
#78266 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:16 am
kieranmullen wrote:Yes, but I woul port hom number to mobile phone (which is usually free0 then port it to google voice which only ports numbers from cell companies for $20 then you can have multi ring and voicemail transcription for free

Who is providing your home phone service?
#78274 by kieranmullen
Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:27 am
ooma now.... i have not had tradtional phone since 2001-2ish

lbmofo wrote:
kieranmullen wrote:Yes, but I woul port hom number to mobile phone (which is usually free0 then port it to google voice which only ports numbers from cell companies for $20 then you can have multi ring and voicemail transcription for free

Who is providing your home phone service?