Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#76402 by eterry2
Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:25 pm
I'm a new ooma user and am trying to figure out the best way to configure things.
I have the ooma hub, so no charges.

I have not ported yet. I have DSL and no dryloop.

If I drop the landline and go with just dsl line, then the cost is high, about $50.
If I keep basic phone line and dsl it's a little cheaper. This also gives me landline 911 service and a phone that works when power is out.

Or, I can just drop dsl, landline, and go with cable.

I don't think keeping a basic voice landline and dry loop dsl will save a whole lot of $

How did you set up your internet and phones?

thanks for any input. :D
#76411 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:24 pm
eterry2 wrote:I'm a new ooma user and am trying to figure out the best way to configure things.
I have the ooma hub, so no charges.

Welcome. Hubs have RRF as well unless it is a Core. Hub vs. Telo: viewtopic.php?t=9245#p64442

I have not ported yet. I have DSL and no dryloop.

If I drop the landline and go with just dsl line, then the cost is high, about $50.
If I keep basic phone line and dsl it's a little cheaper. This also gives me landline 911 service and a phone that works when power is out.

Or, I can just drop dsl, landline, and go with cable.

This is what I did. I was paying around $67 total for DSL + landline but after Ooma, went with cable internet. Cable internet bill is about $57. Only $10 difference from before but I get X10 the download speed compared to DSL in my area 1.5Mbps.

I don't think keeping a basic voice landline and dry loop dsl will save a whole lot of $

How did you set up your internet and phones?

I am now with cable internet. Disconnected house wiring from telephone company, distributing "phone" and "wall" port to the rest of the house so I have dialtone and Scout signal everywhere in the house. I have a DECT 6.0 phone system with 5 handsets plugged into one of the walljacks in the house.

Also, for your reference, Optimal Setup:
viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

thanks for any input. :D
#76416 by eterry2
Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:14 pm
Thanks for your input. I will have to check which hub I have.

I set my hub up as described in the user manual. I have it connected now and I've been testing it out before porting. I have my landline calls forwarded to my OOMA phone number. and I have both my cell and my ooma line ring for every call.

10X the speed is excellent. We had cable modem years ago but changed because there were many outages. Not sure if it is improved now or not. I will look into that.

Also, the 10x the speed would be because of changing your internet delivery and not the ooma. so, the savings because of ooma may or may not be great.

Not sure what you mean about distributing phone and wall port to rest of house. With the DECT 6 and 5 handsets, you only need the one connection anyway. I might not understand what you are saying. I have my cordless with upstairs near the ooma system and I have my handsets downstairs. works fine.

thanks again for your help.
#76417 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:18 pm
eterry2 wrote:I will have to check which hub I have.

If activation process didn't ask you for a credit card, then you have a Core.
#76443 by eterry2
Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:27 pm
Well, I know I have the refurbished one from Fry's. I looked at the number on the unit, called Ooma from the store and they verified that it was one of the units with no fees. So, I went ahead and bought it. That was last year. I hooked it up, but did not use it. Now I am working on it.