Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#76307 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 pm
Question around gigabit routers behind Ooma.

Since gigabit is only used between hard-wired devices connected to the router and Ooma (not being gigabit) only needs to deliver internet speeds to the router, folks don't lose anything if they connect Ooma between modem & router.

Is my logic flawed?
#76312 by murphy
Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 pm
For what it's worth the WAN port on my Motorola SB6120 cable modem is gigabit capable.
The highest Comcast speed available is 105 Mbps so it would be slightly degraded by a 100 Mbps interface.
The SB6120 has a max rating of 171.537 Mbps.
Not that I am willing to pay what they charge for 105 megabit service.
I have a gigabit router, a gigabit switch, a 100 megabit switch. and several gigabit (wired) computers. My Ooma boxes connect to the 100 megabit switch.
#76315 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:03 pm
Thanks murphy. So as long as internet speed is less than 100Mbps, folks don't lose anything correct?
#76318 by murphy
Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:34 pm
lbmofo wrote:Thanks murphy. So as long as internet speed is less than 100Mbps, folks don't lose anything correct?

Downstream - correct.
Depending on how much buffering is available for upstream data in the modem it's buffer could be filled quicker at gigabit speed but if the buffer gets full the connection has to be throttled anyway. It probably doesn't matter for upstream either.
#76351 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 am
lbmofo:
I also have a gigabit LAN in our home with the exception of one older printer.

For me, the main reason for placing our Ooma Telo behing the gigabit router is:

If the Ooma Telo fails, when placed ahead of the gigabit router, it most often disconnects our connection to the Internet.

If the Ooma Telo fails when connected behind the router, we still have an Internet connection for our other LAN devices :cool: .