Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#77389 by mrudman
Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:14 am
Guess I just broke the old record, :)

We bought our system this past Friday evening, submitted the port request couple hrs later, and it just went through today (checked it just now at noon and it was complete).

So about 4 1/2 days... porting from AT&T, :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step Completed Comments
Order received Received order on Mar 11, 2011
Information verified Your porting info was verified on Mar 11, 2011
Port initiated Number port is estimated to complete on Mar 17, 2011
Port scheduled for completion Your port is scheduled to complete on Mar 16, 2011
Port completed Your port completed on Mar 16, 2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#77391 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 am
mrudman wrote:Guess I just broke the old record, :)

Congratulations! 5 days is the new record.
#77417 by nextbond
Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:30 am
Porting time getting shorter from AT&T. Placed order last Wednesday and it was ported yesterday early morning. Ported in 5 1/2 days.
#78870 by Davesworld
Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:14 pm
Of course none of this has anything to do with Ooma. It is the losing carrier that determines how long the port will take so you are in essence bragging about the provider you ported from rather than Ooma.

While on this topic, in 2010 the FCC put new time limits on porting which includes VOIP carriers. If you request by 1pm your port should be completed by midnight the same day. Smaller carriers were given until Feb 2011 which also has passed.

http://www.commlawblog.com/2010/05/arti ... e-numbers/
#78878 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:20 am
Davesworld wrote:Of course none of this has anything to do with Ooma. It is the losing carrier that determines how long the port will take so you are in essence bragging about the provider you ported from rather than Ooma.

While on this topic, in 2010 the FCC put new time limits on porting which includes VOIP carriers. If you request by 1pm your port should be completed by midnight the same day. Smaller carriers were given until Feb 2011 which also has passed.

http://www.commlawblog.com/2010/05/arti ... e-numbers/

I've posted a reply in this post: viewtopic.php?t=11307#p78877
#78912 by Davesworld
Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:26 pm
Ok, I saw it lbmofo. It looks like they losing carrier has an out for a little more time. Do I correctly understand that they have to request this extra time and if they just let it run it's slow course without having requested the extra time that they are in violation?
#78913 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:52 pm
Davesworld wrote:Ok, I saw it lbmofo. It looks like they losing carrier has an out for a little more time. Do I correctly understand that they have to request this extra time and if they just let it run it's slow course without having requested the extra time that they are in violation?

My understanding is that for simple ports, no one has any out at all. No room to negotiate for more time. If 1 business day is requested, then, the losing carrier has to meet it. Otherwise, they are violating FCC mandate. But even for simple ports, the winning carrier has the option to take their time (request completion date many days out); losing carrier would not be considered "in violation" in this case.

However, the losing carrier can reject the demand for 1 day port if non simple port; because non simple ports are immune from the FCC 1 day port mandate. In the case of Ooma, if someone wants to port out of Ooma, Ooma's carrier has the option to reject the 1 day port request saying that the port out would be from their reseller, therefore, non simple port and would negotiate a new date. This would be within the FCC guidelines.

In the case of port in to Ooma though, I think Ooma and Ooma's carriers aren't requesting 1 business day timeline right now. If they were to do it in the future, the losing carrier has to meet that demand unless the number in question is not a simple port. For example, AT&T landline is now fully compliant with FCC 1 day port mandate. If Ooma/carrier requests port out from AT&T landline in 1 business day, AT&T landline will have to meet that. Hope that day will come soon.