Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#76210 by EUNICE
Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:24 pm
Hello.. I'm new here and I just wanted to share and ask some questions
I have Verizon Home phone & DSL internet, both are in the same line ( not dry loop type)
however the DSL account under my name and Home phone under my husband name.

I bought Ooma Core (hub & Scout) and registered my unit on February 20th,
submit a request for porting on the 22nd of Feb, and as today the 28th of Feb, my port completed.

Now only Ooma hub receive all phone calls, my landline no longer ring, although there is still a dial tone and I can still made phone calls. I was told by Verizon today that my phone will be disconnect tomorrow the latest, I don't need to call to cancel and my DSL internet will automatically switch to dry loop (I'm assuming with new rates?)

I'm hoping everything will go smoothly as I was told by Verizon, meaning my DSL will not get temporary disconnected.
So porting completed in 6 days is pretty quick right?

I understand that with the Ooma Core (hub & Scout) I don't get charge for monthly/yearly tax, am I correct? I bought it brand new from Amazon for $250, am I paying too much?

I'm not going to sign up for premier, so what is the purpose of the Scout without second line/number?
Thanks in Advance for any help or answer :)
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (57.93 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
Last edited by EUNICE on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
#76218 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:33 pm
EUNICE wrote:Hello.. I'm new here and I just wanted to share and ask some questions
I have Verizon Home phone & DSL internet, both are in the same line ( not dry loop type)
however the DSL account under my name and Home phone under my husband name.

This means your phone and DSL are separate so terminating one won't impact the other.

I bought Ooma Core (hub & Scout) and registered my unit on February 20th,
submit a request for porting on the 22nd of Feb, and as today the 28th of Feb, my port completed.

Now only Ooma hub receive all phone calls, my landline no longer ring, although there is still a dial tone and I can still made phone calls. I was told by Verizon today that my phone will be disconnect tomorrow the latest, I don't need to call to cancel and my DSL internet will automatically switch to dry loop (I'm assuming with new rates?)

I believe the DSL only price is anywhere from $5 to $10 more.

I'm hoping everything will go smoothly as I was told by Verizon, meaning my DSL will not get temporary disconnected.
So porting completed in 6 days is pretty quick right?

You broke the old record of 8 days.

I understand that with the Ooma Core (hub & Scout) I don't get charge for monthly/yearly tax, am I correct? I bought it brand new from Amazon for $250, am I paying too much?

That's correct. That's a good price. There is a guy on eBay wanting $650 + $25 for shipping. :shock: Generally, you can't get them for under $300 anymore.

I'm not going to sign up for premier, so what is the purpose of the Scout without second line/number?
Thanks in Advance for any help or answer :)

You can use your Scout as a voicemail station.

Welcome to Ooma.

#76262 by ntoy
Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:32 pm
Hello,

Congrats & welcome aboard!

Sometimes, ports can have a quick turnaround time when the terminating carrier that owns the number is the same as the carrier that is receiving the number.
#76273 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

Sometimes, ports can have a quick turnaround time when the terminating carrier that owns the number is the same as the carrier that is receiving the number.

You are not saying Verizon is one of Ooma's carriers are you?
#76304 by ntoy
Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:32 am
lbmofo wrote:
ntoy wrote:Hello,

You are not saying Verizon is one of Ooma's carriers are you?

Hello lbmofo,

Not exactly. In this case, both Verizon & Ooma used the same underlying carrier to manage the number.
#76430 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:10 pm
arkumar15 wrote:Congratulations for those whose porting from verizon took less than 8 days. In my case, it took more than one month to port from verizon.

It was fast only because some other entity managed the number and not Verizon. Verizon sucks by default. I just wish people peel back the wool over their eyes and see the truth about Verizon Wireless as well. Best network my arse. Best restrictive and unused network...maybe.

:D Enjoy my avatar!