Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#74343 by MWH811
Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:00 pm
So freakin' tired of getting calls from 4-digit numbers!!! Why the hell can't you auto-block any numbers that are less than 10-digits??? It is really getting ridiculous!
#74349 by bluechalk
Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:06 pm
Robocalls from our county Office of Emergency Management come in with a three digit Caller ID, 914. I certainly don't want to have those calls blocked. This is how we recently found out about a problem requiring us to boil all tap water before consumption.

And please don't shout, you'll wake the baby.
#74356 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:41 pm
Easy with the hot sauce ;)

ntoy wrote:You can only block absolute numbers. We do not support wildcards.
I believe blacklist by name is already in the feature request queue.
#74361 by MWH811
Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:09 pm
There Aren't any names. Only 4-digit numbers.

@bluechalk - why aren't they using a normal phone number as identification? What are they trying to hide? Lest we forget, the US legislature passed a law banning the use of any kind of Caller ID spoofing. All calls must clearly be identified.

Which brings me back to the point, why is Ooma not enforcing that law? Maybe the communications commission would be interested in knowing this.

At the very least, we should be given the option of whether or not we want to block in-coming numbers of less that 10-digits. It could be added to the Anonymous calling feature.
#74364 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:15 pm
MWH811 wrote:why is Ooma not enforcing that law? Maybe the communications commission would be interested in knowing this.

No phone company does.
If haven't done it yet, the National Do Not Call Registry actually works. No telemarketers call; exceptions are charities, political orgs, businesses that you already do business with.
#74378 by bluechalk
Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:48 pm
I don't know what federal law MWH811 is referring to. The Truth in Caller ID Act of 2010 only prohibits spoofing with the intent to defraud or deceive. I don't see how they could have such intent by sending the 914 caller id. I think its just simple incompetence.

In any case, the law specifically allows spoofing by a "lawfully authorized investigative, protective, or intelligence activity of a law enforcement agency of the United States, a state, or a political subdivision of a state, or of a U.S. intelligence agency." So, even if a carrier could detect spoofed calls with an intent to defraud or deceive, it would be a bad idea for them to block the call.
#74379 by MWH811
Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 pm
Kinda getting off topic. I just want the option to be able to block numbers less than 10-digits long. Period.
#74401 by ntoy
Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:16 am
MWH811 wrote:Kinda getting off topic. I just want the option to be able to block numbers less than 10-digits long. Period.

Hello,

This is an enhancement request in our system requested by others.