Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#5101 by fishmister
Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:36 pm
It would be nice to be able to enter your family and friends into an online address book in the lounge. Then if your brother calls from his cell phone instead of something like -
CA Cell Phone
925-465-2536

It would replace the name with
[Brother Name]
925-465-2536

Too many times I can't tell who is calling me in my family because of the generic Caller ID displays.
#5108 by lohertz
Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:08 am
Don't most phones give you the option of saving names within an address book.
I could see your point when your in the lounge and looking at the call log.
But on the caller id portion, our phone stores the preferred name of a particular number.
Good suggestion though!
#5164 by fishmister
Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:07 pm
WayneDsr wrote:I was about to suggest the same thing. I have my friends and family in my phones "phonebook". When one of them call the phone displays what ever name I entered.

Wayne

Exactly.

Instead of "Cell Phone GA" or "Unknown" or "Out of Area". You will see "Mommy" or "Jerk Brother-in-law" or something nicer. :) Then you don't have to try to memorize every family members number that doesn't display their name.
#5178 by lohertz
Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:59 am
The sad part is I probably wouldn't recognize my sister's phone number. I'm so use to having the phone or cell phone dial it for me I dont even know what it would look like!
#5346 by scots
Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:12 am
lohertz wrote:Don't most phones give you the option of saving names within an address book.
I could see your point when your in the lounge and looking at the call log.
But on the caller id portion, our phone stores the preferred name of a particular number.
Good suggestion though!

Not all phones support this. I know some models of Panasonic cordless phones do this. Not sure about other phones.
#5392 by tommies
Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:10 pm
I just bought a Phillip Dect 6.0 cordless. It has a phonebook w/ 100 entries which can be assigned into three groups with distinct ring tone. It also solves most of the inferences I had with the old Panasonic 5.8MHz.
I'm a happy camper now, and waiting for my number porting to come through (suppose to be next week.)
#5394 by thively
Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:42 pm
tommies wrote:I just bought a Phillip Dect 6.0 cordless. It has a phonebook w/ 100 entries which can be assigned into three groups with distinct ring tone. It also solves most of the inferences I had with the old Panasonic 5.8MHz.
I'm a happy camper now, and waiting for my number porting to come through (suppose to be next week.)
I've been considering getting that phone.
Question for you. Is the 100 person phone book shared across multiple hand sets. Or does each hand set have it's own independent phone book like the former gigarange model (the one I have.) You can "copy" phonebooks to other hand sets, but the do not share the same phone. So they end up out of sync because I'm too lazy to manually copy phone books to each hand set.

I wonder if Ooma Telo will have a similar feature or use a phone book you manage from the lounge. I intend to get Telo, so I hope it does.

EDIT:
I found the answer to my question in the manual (downloaded from Panasonic.) And the answer is that it does have a shared phone book, which is great news.

"Shared phonebook
The shared phonebook allows you to make calls without having to dial
manually. Any handset registered to the base unit can use the shared
phonebook. You can add 50 names and phone numbers to the shared
phonebook.
Important: Only 1 person can access the sharedphonebook at a time."
#5982 by epete
Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:06 am
This would be a great feature. I have talking Caller ID on my cordless phone system and This would fix the cell phone problem as described in the first post.