Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#73309 by EricJRW
Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 pm
VFM wrote:Keep in mind that Google is a BILLION $$ company, Ooma is not.. well not yet.. right! ;)

On paper anyways...
#73343 by kieranmullen
Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:35 pm
Please note: at this time, number porting to Google Voice is not available for land line numbers or corporate mobile numbers.

I was with Gizmoproject.com before they got bought otu and they were just getting porting underway. I suspect it will not be long till they offer home porting. I agree that Ooma will have to get moving on newer preimere features. Multi- Simul Ring etc is a major feature. of course having it one place from one provider is a plus.

FreePhone wrote:Ooma may want to consider lowing the port fee now that Google Voice allows users to port their home numbers for $20. If Google Voice had done this sooner, I would have never purchased my Ooma or paid the $40 to port my home number with them.

I don't care about the extra features, I just wanted free telephone service for my home number.
#73345 by FreePhone
Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:18 am
Yes Google Voice currently needs a phone provider to work, but it was my understanding that they will become an Internet phone service provider and the reason they are offering number porting. Otherwise how else could they port your number?
#73348 by EricJRW
Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:53 am
FreePhone wrote:Yes Google Voice currently needs a phone provider to work, but it was my understanding that they will become an Internet phone service provider and the reason they are offering number porting. Otherwise how else could they port your number?

I would imagine so you can park (keep) your number and then never worry about porting again. I can see the convenience of keeping my same number for all eternity, regardless of how many other of my other phone numbers change, I would only ever need to give out one number and not worry about porting that number (possibly) over and over as my provider changes.
#73349 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:02 am
Yes, I believe Google is most interested in providing a service portal to manage your different phone numbers/services and not necessarily the phone service itself.
#73355 by EricJRW
Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:53 am
Here's another thought: I don't use GV, but are there ads? I can see the beauty of this as a revenue stream too. If you use GV, you will ALWAYS be coming back to Google's page. That has to be valuable.
#73389 by dutchinchicago
Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:23 pm
If I would like to port my number from ooma to google would that be possible? Could I then get another number for my ooma or would it become useless?

I am in the process of porting my comcast number to ooma but would prefere to have my home number with google eventually. I probably will forward it to my ooma initially if possible.
#73394 by Lakeo
Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:33 pm
This report from Fierce VIOP News might be of interest. Dated 1/20/11

3. Google testing number porting for Voice service
By Mike Dolan Comment | Forward | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Briefly this week, Google was testing number porting for Google Voice users. The service is already available to some Beta users including Fortune's Google 24/7 blogger Seth Weintraube.
Weintraube reports that Google had been testing the number porting option but has taken down the page related to it. Basically the service would work just like switching carriers with your cell phone number. A user would port their current cell phone or landline number to Google and then get a new number from their carrier. Then they can receive all their calls to their preferred number and have Google Voice forward calls, access visual voicemails and do call transcriptions.
The move would make it easier for Google Voice to go mainstream as users could adopt the service seamlessly without changing business cards or having everyone update rolodexes with their different Voice number.