Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#73252 by FreePhone
Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:15 pm
Ooma may want to consider lowing the port fee now that Google Voice allows users to port their home numbers for $20. If Google Voice had done this sooner, I would have never purchased my Ooma or paid the $40 to port my home number with them.

I don't care about the extra features, I just wanted free telephone service for my home number.
#73253 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:55 pm
FreePhone wrote:Ooma may want to consider lowing the port fee now that Google Voice allows users to port their home numbers for $20. If Google Voice had done this sooner, I would have never purchased my Ooma or paid the $40 to port my home number with them.

I don't care about the extra features, I just wanted free telephone service for my home number.

This guy says so but GV help page is not updated yet...hmmm
http://www.intomobile.com/2011/01/19/google-voice-port/
Enlighten us....how do you get home phone service via GV?
#73261 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:17 pm
Meant the guy who wrote the piece that I linked.
What do u mean you wouldn't have bought Ooma? U still need home phone service right?
#73275 by EricJRW
Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:44 am
lbmofo wrote:Meant the guy who wrote the piece that I linked.
What do u mean you wouldn't have bought Ooma? U still need home phone service right?

Good point... It's my understanding that GV is really just a "front end" to manage calls to you, it is not a method to make calls. Now if you are ditching land-line and want to keep your home phone number (to use with GV and your cell phone and other numbers), then it does seem to makes sense.
#73280 by murphy
Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:59 am
You can easily place calls using GV.
#73281 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:32 am
murphy wrote:You can easily place calls using GV.

Yes, but you'd need a phone service to call your GV with.
#73289 by EricJRW
Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 am
lbmofo wrote:
murphy wrote:You can easily place calls using GV.

Yes, but you'd need a phone service to call your GV with.

That's what I was thinking (though I am not a GV user, and no numbers are available in my area code, so really not much interest to grab a random number elsewhere)... You need a physical phone & phone number(s) to use GV with... I looked at the google voice page, and what I see is essentially a dashboard that's lets you manage your GV features. I thought maybe it also had skype-like capabilities, but that does not appear to be the case. I see the ability to send messages, but not talk. So the idea of keeping your number for $20 seems like a good deal, but personally I needed a "home phone" that ring's throughout the house as my mobile is often left out of ear-shot (this really pisses my wife off when I don't answer my mobile).

PS. $20 still seems like a good deal even if it is to "park" your number.
#73291 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:18 am
EricJRW wrote:no numbers are available in my area code, so really not much interest to grab a random number elsewhere)...

Since they opened up to the public (invitation only before), they often run out of numbers; check back often. My bro inlaw checked on daily basis and finally got a Seattle number. At a blink, all of them were gone after he got his.
#73292 by EricJRW
Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:21 am
lbmofo wrote:
EricJRW wrote:no numbers are available in my area code, so really not much interest to grab a random number elsewhere)...

Since they opened up to the public (invitation only before), they often run out of numbers; check back often. My bro inlaw checked on daily basis and finally got a Seattle number. At a blink, all of them were gone after he got his.

Thanks for the tip! One more thing to do on the internet... My wife is going to kill me.