Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#73252 by FreePhone
Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:15 pm
Ooma may want to consider lowing the port fee now that Google Voice allows users to port their home numbers for $20. If Google Voice had done this sooner, I would have never purchased my Ooma or paid the $40 to port my home number with them.

I don't care about the extra features, I just wanted free telephone service for my home number.
#73253 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:55 pm
FreePhone wrote:Ooma may want to consider lowing the port fee now that Google Voice allows users to port their home numbers for $20. If Google Voice had done this sooner, I would have never purchased my Ooma or paid the $40 to port my home number with them.

I don't care about the extra features, I just wanted free telephone service for my home number.

This guy says so but GV help page is not updated yet...hmmm
http://www.intomobile.com/2011/01/19/google-voice-port/
Enlighten us....how do you get home phone service via GV?
#73261 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:17 pm
Meant the guy who wrote the piece that I linked.
What do u mean you wouldn't have bought Ooma? U still need home phone service right?
#73275 by EricJRW
Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:44 am
lbmofo wrote:Meant the guy who wrote the piece that I linked.
What do u mean you wouldn't have bought Ooma? U still need home phone service right?

Good point... It's my understanding that GV is really just a "front end" to manage calls to you, it is not a method to make calls. Now if you are ditching land-line and want to keep your home phone number (to use with GV and your cell phone and other numbers), then it does seem to makes sense.
#73280 by murphy
Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:59 am
You can easily place calls using GV.
#73281 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:32 am
murphy wrote:You can easily place calls using GV.

Yes, but you'd need a phone service to call your GV with.
#73289 by EricJRW
Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 am
lbmofo wrote:
murphy wrote:You can easily place calls using GV.

Yes, but you'd need a phone service to call your GV with.

That's what I was thinking (though I am not a GV user, and no numbers are available in my area code, so really not much interest to grab a random number elsewhere)... You need a physical phone & phone number(s) to use GV with... I looked at the google voice page, and what I see is essentially a dashboard that's lets you manage your GV features. I thought maybe it also had skype-like capabilities, but that does not appear to be the case. I see the ability to send messages, but not talk. So the idea of keeping your number for $20 seems like a good deal, but personally I needed a "home phone" that ring's throughout the house as my mobile is often left out of ear-shot (this really pisses my wife off when I don't answer my mobile).

PS. $20 still seems like a good deal even if it is to "park" your number.
#73291 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:18 am
EricJRW wrote:no numbers are available in my area code, so really not much interest to grab a random number elsewhere)...

Since they opened up to the public (invitation only before), they often run out of numbers; check back often. My bro inlaw checked on daily basis and finally got a Seattle number. At a blink, all of them were gone after he got his.
#73292 by EricJRW
Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:21 am
lbmofo wrote:
EricJRW wrote:no numbers are available in my area code, so really not much interest to grab a random number elsewhere)...

Since they opened up to the public (invitation only before), they often run out of numbers; check back often. My bro inlaw checked on daily basis and finally got a Seattle number. At a blink, all of them were gone after he got his.

Thanks for the tip! One more thing to do on the internet... My wife is going to kill me.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests