Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#99561 by Hollywood
Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:57 pm
Oatmeal wrote:
whn wrote:Make sure you report them to

DONOTCALL.gov
Unfortunately, it doesn't help.

I usually google the annoying telemarketing numbers I get. There are usually hundreds of complaints, and many of them have reported the violation. I think the increased number of telemarketing calls I'm now getting across all my unlisted numbers tells me that telemarketers violate the law without fear, because they are not getting prosecuted.

The law was revised once (to make enrollment permanent instead of expiring every few years). I think it is obvious that we need DoNotCall version 3, that has teeth in it. I would also recommend dropping the loophole that still allows calls from political, non-profits, and surveys. I don't want any unsolicited calls coming in. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

EXACTLY!!!
#99563 by karnold002
Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:39 pm
I am a new subscriber and the lack of both blacklist # masking and blacklisting by called-ID may be show stoppers for me. I've had this capability for years on my POTS.

OOMA - let's get with the 21st century, PLEASE!
#99934 by 3183439346
Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:10 pm
I too would love to have an option to block by caller name. Too many of these lowlife telemarketers use the tactic of calling with a different number each time
#100497 by whn
Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 am
Oatmeal wrote:
whn wrote:Make sure you report them to

DONOTCALL.gov
Unfortunately, it doesn't help.

I usually google the annoying telemarketing numbers I get. There are usually hundreds of complaints, and many of them have reported the violation. I think the increased number of telemarketing calls I'm now getting across all my unlisted numbers tells me that telemarketers violate the law without fear, because they are not getting prosecuted.

The law was revised once (to make enrollment permanent instead of expiring every few years). I think it is obvious that we need DoNotCall version 3, that has teeth in it. I would also recommend dropping the loophole that still allows calls from political, non-profits, and surveys. I don't want any unsolicited calls coming in. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

It does work, have a buddy at the FTC, they act on # of complaints from different individuals. She couldn't tell me the magic number but if enough people report the same number, they act on that number. The reason you think it doesn't work is because they don't go after a certain company if only like 1-2 people complained on it. It has to be a more than I would think 25+, but I don't know that magic number. They do act on complaints at donotcall.gov, trust me. They fine them and they can use the fine money to continue operations.
#100599 by T1986
Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:36 pm
whn wrote:It does work, have a buddy at the FTC, they act on # of complaints from different individuals. She couldn't tell me the magic number but if enough people report the same number, they act on that number. The reason you think it doesn't work is because they don't go after a certain company if only like 1-2 people complained on it. It has to be a more than I would think 25+, but I don't know that magic number. They do act on complaints at donotcall.gov, trust me. They fine them and they can use the fine money to continue operations.

Hi this is Rachel from Card Member Services! I will call you with a different number every time so your "buddy at the FTC" will have EXACTLY ONE complaint. Act now as our offer to lower your credit card rate will expire soon! /sarcasm

It's really awesome that's how the FTC works isn't it. Tell your buddy they are clueless.
#100629 by lbmofo
Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:49 am
Rachel who also works for Capital One? These guys are not legit businesses. They are scammers that have no regard for laws.
#100751 by Rev320
Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:00 am
I would like to see a blacklist that could be set for certain hours or activated/deactivated by pressing certain codes.

I have a "friend" who calls several times a day, particularly when I first get home from work. This gets annoying, but they don't seem to understand to limit their calls and be more considerate. I find myself constantly adding and deleting her form my blacklist. I don't want to put my phone on do not disturb because that could block important calls. If we could easily activate and deactivate a "temporary blacklist" by pressing a code (i.e.; *51) that could be great feature.

On the flip side, it would be nice to have a way to have "do not disturb" for all calls but a list which we could set up. That way particular calls of importance could come through while all others could be sent to voice mail.
#101511 by leedef
Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:42 am
Add my name to the list of people requesting that OOMA add a blacklist feature.

Actually, I find it hard to believe that they haven't already done this. This feature alone would make their product a standout and much more marketable!

Lee DeForest
Gurnee, IL
#101974 by rosie26y
Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:17 am
I totally agree with the people asking for the ability to block an area code or exchange......you can block one robocaller number but they just use another number as soon as you turn around. The Mr Number app I have on my cell phone allows you to block whole area codes and gives the option to make exceptions if there happens to be a number in that area code you'd like to come through. I would really LOVE to have a feature like this on my Ooma phone. PLEASE!!!!!!
#101976 by jh_austin
Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:04 am
If blocking by name is too hard for Ooma to implement for some reason, then blocking with regular expressions or wildcards should still be easy. For instance, 21250012* could block all numbers from 212-500-1200 to 212-500-1299. A wildcard of "212*" could block all numbers coming from the 212 area code.