Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#73142 by EricJRW
Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:55 am
As a software engineer I appreciate that our first line is **0 (and the default line), but to explain to anyone else that you need to dial **1 for the second line, **2 for the third line, etc. is unnecessarily confusing.

I'm sure it's way too late to undo this zero-relative madness, but the numbering scheme for the lines really (IMHO) should have started with one, not zero.

PS. I'm just starting to play around with my included second personal number, so expect to see more comments and questions on the topic.
#73166 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 am
LOL, you're right...starting from 0 may present some problems for some folks.

Maybe one could think of the numbering as 0 = default/main, 1 = additional number 1, 2 = additional number 2 :) to make it easier.
#73180 by EricJRW
Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:48 pm
lbmofo wrote:LOL, you're right...starting from 0 may present some problems for some folks.

Maybe one could think of the numbering as 0 = default/main, 1 = additional number 1, 2 = additional number 2 :) to make it easier.

Good idea... I was trying to come up with a [logical] verbal explanation as to why "1" for the other line.

Luckily I think I will only ever have "1 other line" (KOW), so that's how I'll explain it.

Thanks for the idea. :idea:

Eric

PS. But then that won't help explain why "1" and "2" are used in the call logs!
Last edited by EricJRW on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#73183 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:15 pm
EricJRW wrote:PS. But then won't help explain why "1" and "2" are used in the call logs!

D'Oh! You had to go there didn't you?
Yeah, those 1s & 2s really mean line 1 and line 2. :cool:
#73198 by rsg
Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:04 pm
It's like the difference between Fortran (what you want) and C (what you got) for array indices:
In C:
0 = your line
1 = your other line
2 = your other other (that is other ^ 2) line hence the 2
3 = your next other line (or the other other line, hence the 3)
and so on...

When you go to explain, don't use your software engineering brain -- just use "other" terminology.
Just random ramblings ;)
#73206 by EricJRW
Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:20 pm
rsg wrote:It's like the difference between Fortran (what you want) and C (what you got) for array indices:
In C:
0 = your line
1 = your other line
2 = your other other (that is other ^ 2) line hence the 2
3 = your next other line (or the other other line, hence the 3)
and so on...

When you go to explain, don't use your software engineering brain -- just use "other" terminology.
Just random ramblings ;)

Now all we need is acronyms for that: YL, YOL, YOOL, and YNOL!

PS. I was once a member of the SAA (Society Against Acronyms).
#73207 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm
Which takes us all the way back to:

YL=**0=Line 1
YOL=**1=Line 2
YOOL=**2=Line 3
YNOL=**3=Line 4
#73219 by EricJRW
Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:32 am
Perfect... It's all so clear now. All that was needed was a good acronym! I'm sure now those w/o computer science degrees will have no trouble understanding this.