Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#74746 by von
Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:07 pm
I love Ooma, and have been with them for some time now, I recently bought the Lifetime Premier...
But have to agree.... The handsets are horrible!
I actually disconnected my handset and put it away, they are not worth all of the headache
#75098 by JTalbert
Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:03 am
Wow, what a rant...

I also agree, the handsets are not the greatest, are the horrible, no. I have two handsets and use them specifically for me. I have a Panny system for the rest of the family.

The handsets have gotten a lot better since they first came out. Good enough to use as a secondary system, not good enough for primary in my opinion. Agree'ed the display could be better, and the battery life, even though it has gotten better, its still very poor. There is a slight lag with the phone, mainly the first press, as it communicates with the base and goes from low power mode and to access the address book for the first time. Panny phones that have the address book in the base has the same issue, but I find after the first press the phone is responsive enough. My biggest fault with the phone is the phone charger base design, you look at the phone the wrong way, it falls out of the cradle. This is Ooma's first attempt at a handset, and I have found Ooma to be very responsive to feedback and has done a lot to make their service great, and hopefully at some point they will be able to come out with a newer handset that will address a lot of the faults people have with the handset.

I was the same way as you in the beginning, I complained big time on here and to Ooma and my tone changed once I saw Ooma was listening and was making improvements on a regular basic. They update the firmware for the Telo and Handsets on a regular basis, more than I have seen any other company update their firmware for a product like this. Ooma has some great engineers working for them.

I agree with others, just use the Panny as the main phones and forget about using the Telo handsets. Sell them on eBay or Craigslist if your not happy with them.
#75998 by umbertob
Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:13 pm
Are these handsets even available anymore? I just got my number successfully ported and signed up for a 1-year Premier membership so I wanted to try one, despite the bad reviews here and elsewhere. But the handset appears to be out of stock almost everywhere (when even Amazon doesn't have it, you know something is up...) and on Ooma's own web site all you can buy is reconditioned units. Is this just a temporary shortage or is Ooma getting ready to introduce a new - and hopefully much improved - handset?
#86700 by bukzin
Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:45 pm
Hope this is the right spot for this question.

What (if anything) would be missed using a non-Ooma branded cordless handset?

I do have premier service.

Which model numbers of the Panny's etc. seem to get the most thumbs up
by Ooma users?

Thanks!
Last edited by bukzin on Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
#86702 by murphy
Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:24 am
bukzin wrote:Hope this is the right spot for this question.

What (if anything) would be missed using a non-Ooma branded cordless handset?

Which model numbers of the Panny's etc. seem to get the most thumbs up
by Ooma users?

Thanks!

You can't have two simultaneous phone calls without a Telo handset.
If you have Premier you won't have access to the instant second line.
#86714 by philw132
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:46 am
Im not sure what all the fuss is about. I had a need to take advantage of the dedicated 2nd line feature the ooma telo handsets offer. I just got it yesterday and i've been putting it through its paces and the only issue i have is a very finicky matting connection to the charger base other then that i love the handset, i think i may end up buying one more.
I keep hearing about how slow it is, well think about all it does! If you have a smartphone cellphone you should already be use to any delays in response.

Murphy, to correct your statement. you cannot have two simultaneous phone calls without Premier, however if you have premier and have the bluetooth adapter you can have two simultaneous phone calls without the telo handset. you can pickup an incoming call using a bluetooth headset or bluetooth speaker while simultaneously another person is using the PHONE port on the telo with there standard POTS style phone. alternatively you could use a bluetooth gateway device to make/receive calls using the instant 2nd line
Personally I found the bluetooth to be unreliable plugged directly into the telo. what i did is put a USB 2.0 extension cord from the telo to the bluetooth adapter. this allowed the bluetooth adapter to be elevated and away from any signals causing performance issues. once i did that it became very reliable.
murphy wrote:
you can't have two simultaneous phone calls without a Telo handset.
If you have Premier you won't have access to the instant second line.