Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#72907 by onoccasion
Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:49 pm
Having had my Telo for almost a week now, I'm generally pretty impressed. The only thing I immediately noticed that needs improvement is the volume control. When you press the button there is no tone or sound to give you any clue what the volume setting is so you have to connect to voicemail or have somebody be leaving you a message in order to know what volume level you are setting.

I found that one of my kids must have pressed the button and muted the volume, because when I hit my voicemail play button to hear a message I heard nothing. I pressed the volume button a few times and then could start hearing the message, but I don't know if my wife would have thought to do that - she would probably just think it was broken. I'm hoping to replace my landline and traditional answering machine with the Ooma Telo and Premier, but it has to pass the "wife test" (ease of use for a non-techie).

Could a software change allow generation of a tone as you press the volume button so it's easier to know what level it's at?

Perhaps the volume icon could change color to orange if it's down all the way - that would probably require a hardware change if there's not a different color LED under that icon already.
#72957 by Bobby B
Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:28 pm
Yes, this suggestion was made by several people at CES this year. This should be coming in the next major firmware update which is coming out within the next couple months.

When the release is out, you'll hear the Ooma lady speak the current volume level (i.e. "one", "two", etc) when you press the volume button.
#72959 by highq
Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:39 pm
Bobby B wrote:When the release is out, you'll hear the Ooma lady speak the current volume level (i.e. "one", "two", etc) when you press the volume button.

Bobby, a very welcome change!
I should think it obvious to include an equally desired modification, viz., that the brightness button also indicate its level.
#72997 by onoccasion
Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:10 pm
Glad to hear this is in the works and that it can be accomplished with a firmware update! "highq," please explain further the benefit of having the brightness level announced via voice, since you can already immediately see the effect of pressing the brightness button.
#73006 by highq
Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:17 pm
onoccasion wrote:"highq," please explain further the benefit of having the brightness level announced via voice, since you can already immediately see the effect of pressing the brightness button.

Sure, I can see the brightness vary, but often forget when I've hit the brightest and the next press is going to take me back to "off".
If this is to be implemented, announcing the brightness in just "1", "2", "3", "4" wouldn't be as helpful as, say, "off", "dim", "bright", "brightest". Or "1 of 4", "2 of 4", "3 of 4", "4 of 4". Or in percentage terms.
#73104 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:36 pm
Good idea about the brightness control - we'll see if we can implement something similar.
#73105 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 pm
Bobby B wrote:Good idea about the brightness control - we'll see if we can implement something similar.

The beauty of this forum and how helpful the mods are ;)
#73649 by thewamp
Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:55 pm
The vey simple solution that I use is to press the forward button ">" while adjusting the volume. Even if there are no stored messages, speech is output, which allows one to hear the volume adjustment result.
#74204 by rlanza1054
Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:01 pm
I just got my system and glad that this feature will be added.

I also think in general the loudest volume setting is really not loud enough for me, personally.

Is there anyway to boost the volume.

If not, I wish there was an external jack for a remote speaker!

Rob