Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#72481 by BackupBob
Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:59 pm
Voice Eclipse (http://www.VoiceEclipse.Com) has a feature called e-Fax. When it detects a fax carrier on the line the call is routed to a system that receives the fax and sends me an e-mail with the fax attached. I am free to use the line for inbound and outbound calls. I never know when a fax is in progress.

I just left Voice Eclipse after many years. Support has gone downhill as they are phasing out their home VoIP business. Their loss is Ooma's gain and I am now paying half the price, but I wish I still had e-fax.

I found an outfit called K7.net that offers a similar service but I have had to permanently forward one of my numbers to their system. That effectively takes away one line.

It certainly would be handy if Ooma had an e-Fax feature built in.
#72482 by BackupBob
Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:04 pm
Interesting development.

In the posting at the link below it mentions that Paetec is an Ooma carrier. Paetec is the current owner of Voice Eclipse. What are the chances that Ooma could make some arrangement with Paetec to provide e-Fax service?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10430
#72513 by oomg
Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:16 am
I have been very satisfied with my service with OneSuite; as little as $1/mo for unlimited incoming faxes. And they will provide a dedicated fax number. See:
http://www.onesuite.com/products_OneSuiteFax.asp

FWIW, a recent article listing "things babies born in 2011 will never know" included the following:

Wired phones: Why would you pay $35 every month to have a phone that plugs into a wall? For those born today, this will be a silly concept.

Long distance: Thanks to the Internet, the days of paying more to talk to somebody in the next city, state, or even country are limited.

Fax machines: Can you say "scan," ".pdf" and "email?"

See: http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/ar ... ds_parents

I concur... the day of the fax machine and faxing in general is almost doomed. However, there are some, including me, who must (at least occasionally) send documents via fax. However, when I am called upon to do so, I scan the documents in and attach them as part of an outgoing fax on my OneSuite system. Not only does OneSuite provide a confirmation of delivery, it provides a complete copy of the fax as delivered. Of course that service is a little more; $2.95 per month plus 2.5 cents per page outgoing. My overall cost is less that what I had been paying for toner for that old fax machine.
#72515 by oomg
Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:18 am
I have been very satisfied with my service with OneSuite; as little as $1/mo for unlimited incoming faxes. And they will provide a dedicated fax number. See:

FWIW, a recent article listing "things babies born in 2011 will never know" included the following:

Wired phones: Why would you pay $35 every month to have a phone that plugs into a wall? For those born today, this will be a silly concept.

Long distance: Thanks to the Internet, the days of paying more to talk to somebody in the next city, state, or even country are limited.

I concur... the day of the fax machine and faxing in general is almost doomed. However, there are some, including me, who must (at least occasionally) send documents via fax. However, when I am called upon to do so, I scan the documents in and attach them as part of an outgoing fax on my OneSuite system. Not only does OneSuite provide a confirmation of delivery, it provides a complete copy of the fax as delivered. Of course that service is a little more; $2.95 per month plus 2.5 cents per page outgoing. My overall cost is less that what I had been paying for toner for that old fax machine.
#72670 by BackupBob
Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:28 pm
oomg wrote:I have been very satisfied with my service with OneSuite; as little as $1/mo for unlimited incoming faxes. And they will provide a dedicated fax number. See:

Paying $35 a month for a fax line is not smart. That is why I have used an inbound fax service instead of receiving numbers on the fax line. I use it to fax out so the number is the same as the one I give people for faxing.

Fax is rude and crude but it does work. I can set up my scanner, scan to a PDF, write an e-mail, attach the PDF, and then wait to see that the other person got it. Or I can drop a piece of paper in a fax machine, press a button, and know within a minute that it was received.

Some large companies, including financial organizations, will not accept incoming attachments, period. For them fax is a simple way to avoid a complex malware problem.

As for things babies born in 2011 will neve know, may I add a few items to the list?

Clockwise and counter-clockwise. (We have digital clocks now.)
    Dialing a telephone? (You press a keypad.)
    The roll sign on a bus or trolley. (Signs are LED based now.)
    What is a "trolley"? (It is called "Light Rail" now)
    Light bulb.
    UHF television.
    Air mail and postage due.
    Writing letters.
    Writing intelligbly. no prob lmao cya
    Party lines.
#72933 by oomg
Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:14 am
BackupBob wrote:Paying $35 a month for a fax line is not smart. That is why I have used an inbound fax service instead of receiving numbers on the fax line. I use it to fax out so the number is the same as the one I give people for faxing.

Fax is rude and crude but it does work. I can set up my scanner, scan to a PDF, write an e-mail, attach the PDF, and then wait to see that the other person got it. Or I can drop a piece of paper in a fax machine, press a button, and know within a minute that it was received.

Some large companies, including financial organizations, will not accept incoming attachments, period. For them fax is a simple way to avoid a complex malware problem.

Valid point about some not wanting to accept email attachments. With OneSuite (as well as other outgoing eFax services), even though the document is stored in my system as a PDF, and attached to the outgoing service my adding it as an attachment, it is delivered in the exact same manner as any normal fax.

Not only does OneSuite provide a confirmation of delivery, it provides a complete copy of the fax as delivered together with a delivery confirmation. Of course that service is a little more; $2.95 per month plus 2.5 cents per page outgoing. My overall cost is less that what I had been paying for toner for that old fax machine.

Yes, I can still plug in my old fax machine and send a "traditional" fax. I have even set the machine number to same number that OneSuite provides for me as part of the service. I never have to worry about my fax missing a page (e.g. pulling two pages at once) as I confirm that the PDF document that I attach to the outgoing fax is complete prior to sending it. If anyone attempts to argue that they never received my fax, I simply offer to immediately email them a copy of the confirmation which includes a complete copy of the document as originally transmitted. End of discussion. Or if they have lost or misplaced it, I can email the complete fax or fax it again in a heartbeat.

BackupBob wrote:As for things babies born in 2011 will neve know, may I add a few items to the list?

Clockwise and counter-clockwise. (We have digital clocks now.)
    Dialing a telephone? (You press a keypad.)
    The roll sign on a bus or trolley. (Signs are LED based now.)
    What is a "trolley"? (It is called "Light Rail" now)
    Light bulb.
    UHF television.
    Air mail and postage due.
    Writing letters.
    Writing intelligbly. no prob lmao cya
    Party lines.

Clockwise and counter-clockwise: Your right. I do some road racing as a hobby and at some of the courses, the direction can be reversed. With the younger crowd... well let me put it this way: we just tell them to follow the crowd.

Dialing a telephone: This one pretty much applies to babies born in 1981. I think the term "dialing a number" is still used. I suppose it is better than "punching a number" or "fingering a number." Little side note: I read that area codes within the U.S. were established to allow the easiest dialing to those numbers in a major metropolitan area. Thus, 212 is New York City; 213 is Los Angeles; and 312 is Chicago. Lot easier to "dial" 212 than 949 by way of example. Makes sense to me.

Writing letters: Yup... a lost art. Replaced by the cryptic text message... WTF does that mean?

Writing intelligbly: Well, you can say that again... spelling too.
#72934 by DTMF
Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:51 am
99% of the time, I prefer to exchange documents by email. But a few weeks ago, I had a situation where I preferred to use fax.

I recently had a need to fill out and return a document that had all kinds of personal information on it. The place I was returning the form to offered the choice of scanning it and emailing it back or faxing it back. I know that email is an insecure communication channel that it easily intercepted and that the info on this form was everything an identity thief would need to steal my identity, so I opted to use my Ooma phone to fax it back.