Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#72338 by AgThorn
Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:00 pm
:idea: Before leaving my 'land lines' (actually not land lines, but u-verse VOIP), I had complete two line support in my house. All phones had two lines on them, hence all rooms were wired for two lines. Many many families are in this situation, i.e. having a second line for home business, fax, teenage daughter, etc. And Ooma has the four wire (two line) interface capabilitie, if the software was updated to support it.

PLEASE - help me get two line support back on my land lines that are plugged into Ooma. The only way I can currently have two lines (and two separate answering services for them) with Ooma is to program a Telos handset separately. Very awkward.

If u-verse VOIP can support full two wire setups, I know that Ooma could as well (of course, with programming updates to do so).

William
#72357 by southsound
Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:11 pm
I too think it would be great to have true wired two line support on the Telo but the sad fact is that if there is not hardware to support that second line, no amount of programming can help. If you want to use a Telo in this fashion, you need to have two Telo's. That may not seem too steep when you subtract the cost of Premier which many people with two Telo's have chosen to do - in other words, they just keep basic on both systems. If you would like to do it with just one system, the older core systems (hub and scout) are still availble and will work quite well for this scenario.
#72758 by monkmanusa
Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:43 pm
I agree with the first poster.
All my phone hardware I have at home (not the Ooma Telo Handset which I also have) is in multiple rooms (for example I have two offices in my house - each with an excellent quality 2 line desk phone - one office mine and the other the wife) and a separate multi-handset base station with the handsets sprinkled liberally throughout my house (4 of them).
The current set up (with POTS) is that one number rings "Line 1" on both desk phones and the second POTS number I have rings the second line on both desk phones. The first POTS number is also connected to the multi handset base that I have.
The First number (or Line 1) is basically the "personal" number - the second number is the business number.
So with the Ooma Telo (and Premier - which I have) - I can have two numbers (which I have) - Awesome - but I cannot get both to work on my existing hardware at the same time - even though the Ooma base station has the "four wire" set up as indicated in the earlier post to ALLOW each number to come out on a different pair.
I cannot (and don't want to) use the Telo Handset - as I cannot put it both offices at the same time - and to be honest I don't want to use it - we both prefer our desk phones and want to keep using them - and I don't want to buy another telo handset when I already have a "second" number - and the correct hardware - but just not the right programming in the Ooma Telo Base to allow my first Ooma number to use one pair of wire on the output and the second number use the second pair of wires on the output from the base.
If Ooma were to do that (probably just needs some programming in the base I'm guessing) - I think they may win over a lot more "work at home" folks that already have excellent phone equipment in their homes that they want to re-use.
This would be a great step forward for Ooma.
#72808 by MRRiley
Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:46 am
I also agree that this is a make or break feature for Ooma to move forward. Having two numbers is great but not being able to designate a separate voice mail for them is problematic; as is the necessity to purchase more duplicate equipment due to the inability to provide this much needed feature.

In fact, had I realized that I would not be able to use the second line with an independent voice mailbox, I likely would not have switched. It's not really clear in the marketing material what is required to make the two line, two voice mail boxes solution workable.

Ought to be an easy fix if the desire to provide truly professional service does exist.
#72810 by southsound
Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:04 am
MRRiley wrote:I also agree that this is a make or break feature for Ooma to move forward. Having two numbers is great but not being able to designate a separate voice mail for them is problematic; as is the necessity to purchase more duplicate equipment due to the inability to provide this much needed feature.

In fact, had I realized that I would not be able to use the second line with an independent voice mailbox, I likely would not have switched. It's not really clear in the marketing material what is required to make the two line, two voice mail boxes solution workable.

Ought to be an easy fix if the desire to provide truly professional service does exist.

If both numbers are shared in the system, then only one voicemailbox exists. If you assign your second number to a scout (if you have a hub) or a Telo handset (if you have a Telo) then each number will have its own voicemail and its own login from my.ooma.com.
#72813 by MRRiley
Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:19 am
So, if I purchase a second, or third, or forth handset can I access either mailbox from any of the handsets, or is each mailbox and phone number limited to the designated hardware unit?
#72954 by cmeisel
Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:57 pm
All ooma needs to do is to offer a scout like device for the Telo. I am not sure why it was not done to begin with (it made the telo less attractive than the old hub) but if they create one you have true two, three, 4 line support
#72955 by ntoy
Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:04 pm
MRRiley wrote:So, if I purchase a second, or third, or forth handset can I access either mailbox from any of the handsets, or is each mailbox and phone number limited to the designated hardware unit?

Hello,

If you have 2 numbers & both are shared, yes, you can access vmail from any of the telo handsets.

If you assigned the 2nd number to one of the telo handsets(making it private), then you would need to use this handset to retrieve the messages, log into My Ooma on the 2nd number, or call your 2nd number & with the pin code.
#73433 by oomg
Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:10 am
ntoy wrote:
MRRiley wrote:So, if I purchase a second, or third, or forth handset can I access either mailbox from any of the handsets, or is each mailbox and phone number limited to the designated hardware unit?

Hello,

If you have 2 numbers & both are shared, yes, you can access vmail from any of the telo handsets.

If you assigned the 2nd number to one of the telo handsets(making it private), then you would need to use this handset to retrieve the messages, log into My Ooma on the 2nd number, or call your 2nd number & with the pin code.

I started with the Hub/Scout almost two years ago (Telo was not available at that time). Since then I have acquired two more system; one Hub/Scout and one Telo. I have also given several systems to friends and family; mostly Hub/Scout, but a couple Telo systems as well (Each system has positive features, so my selection was based on my perception of the individual's specific application and needs.) IMHO, the ability to segregate lines 1 and 2 is one of the features that weighs strongly in favor of the Hub/Scout, and one which is almost mandatory where the user desires to maintain a home office that requires calls to the office line not be answered by other family members (e.g. child or teenager).

Assuming for the sake of discussion that one of the numbers on the Telo can be assigned to a handset, I have wondered why a wireless device similar to a scout could not be developed that would allow for connection of the phone unit of the user's choice to be connected.

Alternatively, I would suggest that Ooma offer an abbreviated Premier option for those who purchase two (or more) Telo systems for use at the same location (e.g. everything that Premier offers except the instant second line and the second number on the individual system) at a reduced monthly price. Then again, having two home lines (particularly if one has a large family) and two separate home-office lines for about $20 per month has its charms.
#79328 by Maestro64
Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:32 am
I would like to add to this conversation and it seems like people and ooma are using semantics when they say they support two lines.

Yes they support two different numbers and if someone calls either of the number the phone will ring at your phone. If you do not answer either of these calls they go to one voice mail box.

Yes they also support two phone numbers on "their" (ooma) Cordless handset, meaning if you receive a call on either number you can answer either call on "their" phone.

Yes you can use the second number to call out on if your primary number is in use with one of the phone in your house. However, the only way to do this is to use "their' cordless handset.

Yes you can also answers the second call on your hard wired phones connect to the ooma telco unit but it requires you to press the "Flash" or "Answer Call" button on your phone and you can toggle back and forth.

I believe all that is correct since that is what I been able to figure by various peoples postings and what ooma has document.

I also believe the next statement are true,base on what has not been specifically said or people possibly using the wrong words. If you notice I avoided using the word "line" and that was for a reason since Line implies actually physical lines like copper lines. This is important when talking about having a second "line."

Homes are wired to have two or more physical phone lines, meaning two unique phone numbers which rings to physically different phones. Given this I do not believe the ooma telco box actually support two lines.

If you plug in a true two line phone into the ooma telco box you do not get two line, all calls from either numbers your have will only come in on line 1 of the phone.

In a true two line systems, each phone number will physically be assign to the two different line in the phone. This way if you are on a call on line 1 phone number 1 and then get a call on phone number 2 it will only ring on line 2 of the phone and someone else in the house where a two line phone exist can pick up that call.

So if you have two line phone system in your house, either hard wired or wireless when the unit is plug into the ooma box and you select the second line on those phones you will get dead air since the ooma box either physically or via software does not support those second pair of wires which make you existing two line phone work.

So if you want to have two unique phone numbers and be able to answer them independent of each other you have to have the ooma telco handset. It will not work the way you would expect on your existing two line phone system you might own.

I agree this is a seriously missing feature on the ooma system, I have 6 two line cordless phones in my house which I was hoping to take full advantage of them with adding a second phone number but I can not unless I am willing to replace them with the ooma telco handset. However, it appears these have serious issues from a poor display to poor battery life.

Update: I recently test this, so I know it works this way.

If your are on a call with you primary number with the ooma teleco handset and receive another call on your primary number it would flash line two on the ooma telco and it will also ring any phones which are connected to the hardwired port on ooma telec unit. If those phones are a two line phone it will ring on line 1, not line 2 as you would expect.

Again if you are on a call on your ooma teleco handset and want to make a call out from your hard wire phones, you will not be able to, if you pick up the phone on line 1 you will join the call that the ooma handset is on, if you press line 2 you get noting. Since I do not have a second ooma handset it appears the only way you use that second line to make an outgoing call is to use a ooma handset.

The more I think about this, I believe this is done by design since they want to sell you phone as well as the telco unit. In reality it would not have been hard to enable the second line on the RJ45 port on the ooma Teleco unit so that a true two line phone would work. However, if you want to use two lines as you would expect you need the ooma handset units.
Last edited by Maestro64 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.