Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#72374 by sharing411
Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 pm
Once Ooma is set up as a standalone, what am I going to use as a handset for Ooma if my Uniden is plugged directly into the wall for the landline service (until I cut that service)?

Also, I live in an apartment and don't think that disconnecting anything outside is an option and if it were I don't know which is mine and what I would do with it. One time the phone company was here they went to a big box but I think that is locked. Currently I only have and need a phone plugged into one wall jack but do have an extra handset on a charger that is active. Will I loose use of the extra handset?
#72375 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:26 pm
sharing411 wrote:Once Ooma is set up as a standalone, what am I going to use as a handset for Ooma if my Uniden is plugged directly into the wall for the landline service (until I cut that service)?

You'd need another phone to plug into Ooma's "phone" port.

sharing411 wrote:Also, I live in an apartment and don't think that disconnecting anything outside is an option and if it were I don't know which is mine and what I would do with it. One time the phone company was here they went to a big box but I think that is locked. Currently I only have and need a phone plugged into one wall jack but do have an extra handset on a charger that is active. Will I loose use of the extra handset?

I suppose you don't need to do anything if you only need 1 phone jack to plug your phone in. Is your Uniden phone somewhat old? If so, might be a good time to get a new set of DECT 6.0 phones (just need 1 phone jack and multiple handsets won't need phone jacks). You can find them pretty cheap now a days. Maybe a 3 handset DECT 6.0 phone for about $40 on sale. This is one example: http://amzn.com/B001P5O0BO
#72391 by sharing411
Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:22 pm
My building has security gates where a visitor pushes # then my unit number and it rings to my landline at which time I press '9' to open the gate. If I get rid of my landline won't my ability to answer the front gate visitor using my phone be a thing of the past? If so, is there a way around it using Ooma?
#72392 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:29 pm
How is that system calling your landline, did you give them your landline number to set up the system?
If so, you just give them your new Ooma number.

If not, the system intercepts your phone line upstream before coming into your apt. Hence, I think even if the landline is dead (you cancel your landline), you should still receive calls from visitors at the gate. You can ask someone at the apt to confirm.
#72523 by sharing411
Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:36 am
lbmofo wrote:After customer service sets you up in standalone mode, they'd assign you a new number for your main Ooma number. Then you'd disconnect the phone cord that's going from your house wall jack to Ooma's "wall" port and then you'd do a reboot of your Ooma (power off and power back on). Now, you are running Ooma standalone.

All calls going to your landline will not ring phone(s) connected to Ooma; only phones connected to your house wall jacks will ring. If you have call forwarding feature on your landline, you can forward your landline to your Ooma number; then, when you get a call on your landline number, phone(s) connected to Ooma will ring.

Once you get rid of your landline, you can go out to your NIB outside the house, disconnect your house wiring from the telephone company and then feed Ooma's "phone" port to your house wall jack so you'd have Ooma dialtone throughout your house. viewtopic.php?t=6853

To further test to make sure all will operate once I go stand-alone, I plugged a splitter into my PHONE port on Ooma and plugged in a tele line that goes to my Belkin surge protector with 3 phone jacks. One of the jacks/cords goes to my computer to use the auto dialer, and one goes to my fax machine. I tested the auto dialer and it works. I tested the fax machine and it didn't work. I wonder why. If the splitter were bad then the auto dialer test would have failed. Any ideas? I took out the splitter and plugged the fax machine directly into the PHONE port of the Ooma and got a dial tone.

When I go standalone with the Ooma while still having my landline service, will my landline phone be plugged into the wall jack only or will it go into the Ooma wall port?

Thank you for all your support. I find the forum support excellent and the only way to go for finding answers. :D
#72529 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:01 pm
sharing411 wrote:To further test to make sure all will operate once I go stand-alone, I plugged a splitter into my PHONE port on Ooma and plugged in a tele line that goes to my Belkin surge protector with 3 phone jacks. One of the jacks/cords goes to my computer to use the auto dialer, and one goes to my fax machine. I tested the auto dialer and it works. I tested the fax machine and it didn't work. I wonder why. If the splitter were bad then the auto dialer test would have failed. Any ideas? I took out the splitter and plugged the fax machine directly into the PHONE port of the Ooma and got a dial tone.

What happens if you swap cords between fax port and auto dialer port of the splitter?

sharing411 wrote:When I go standalone with the Ooma while still having my landline service, will my landline phone be plugged into the wall jack only or will it go into the Ooma wall port?

Nothing needs to be connected to the Ooma "wall" port in standalone. The landline phones will work as they did before you got Ooma.
#72531 by sharing411
Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:13 pm
lbmofo wrote:
sharing411 wrote:To further test to make sure all will operate once I go stand-alone, I plugged a splitter into my PHONE port on Ooma and plugged in a tele line that goes to my Belkin surge protector with 3 phone jacks. One of the jacks/cords goes to my computer to use the auto dialer, and one goes to my fax machine. I tested the auto dialer and it works. I tested the fax machine and it didn't work. I wonder why. If the splitter were bad then the auto dialer test would have failed. Any ideas? I took out the splitter and plugged the fax machine directly into the PHONE port of the Ooma and got a dial tone.

What happens if you swap cords between fax port and auto dialer port of the splitter?

They both work! Weird. Is there a logical reason?
#72534 by sharing411
Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 pm
lbmofo wrote:Maybe the plug wasn't plugged in snug...but the good news is that it is woking :)

Now, just to make sure that my front gate can be opened from my Ooma Telo. If that goes well then I don't see any reason to keep my landline, since I've tested all other functions and so far, so good.
#72552 by sharing411
Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:27 pm
One last bug... My internet speed is 1.5 megs (sp?). Currently I get error messages from my browser that I'm not on line. Should I upgrade to a faster speed in order for the Ooma to work uninterrupted? I use the internet more than I do the phone but soon I will be getting back to work and using the phone for telemarketing, so I don't really know how my current Internet speed is affecting phone calls. I used it for about 30 minutes the other night with no interruptions.