Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#77381 by EricJRW
Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:37 am
lbmofo wrote:AzJazz, one more thing on your revenue stream topic....the Ooma device will break sometime in the future.
When they break, more revenue for Ooma; if what Rich said is accurate, Ooma won't lose money by servicing even the basic/core customers given that their devices don't last forever.

lbmofo wrote:About what the Ex Ooma CMO, Rich Buchanan, said about what the cost is per sub:

Rich was talking about $1.75 a month @0.5 cents per min worst scenario termination cost with average of 350 outgoing minutes; he was talking cost per sub of about $21 a year. BTW, Rich was figuring the life span of the Ooma device @ 5 years.

http://www.fiercevoip.com/story/ooma-co ... 2009-03-19

Interesting point. Now I need to crunch the numbers on ooma's extended warranty, the cost a of a new unit, and the life expectancy.
#77408 by roadshow
Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 am
If you're a "Core" user, it's better to either extend your Hub warranty, or purchase the upgrade directly from OOMA. If you buy a Telo from a retailer, the new unit won't have the Core service grandfathered to it. If the upgrade is purchased through OOMA, they will grandfater your Core Service. That means you keep lifetime phone support, and other features without buying Premier.
#77414 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:54 am
tomcat wrote:
roadshow wrote:That means you keep lifetime phone support, and other features without buying Premier.

I have a telo. Are you saying that I won't receive phone support if I don't have premier? I don't see that listed in the comparison between the basic and premier services.

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/90

Right now, phone support is free for everyone: https://www.ooma.com/legal/rates
#77435 by roadshow
Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:42 pm
Sorry. I was mistaken. I thought that Lifetime Phone Support was only available with Core or Premier. I guess not. I am glad to hear that.
#77436 by nextbond
Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 pm
Or to get more customers to sign up, lower the price of Premier to something like $79-$99/year.

Consider introducing an in-between. OOMA Deluxe which has half the features of Premier for $49/year.
#77440 by tomcat
Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:33 pm
nextbond wrote:Or to get more customers to sign up, lower the price of Premier to something like $79-$99/year.

Consider introducing an in-between. OOMA Deluxe which has half the features of Premier for $49/year.

A subset of the premier feature would be nice. There are only a few features that I am interested in anyway.
#77442 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:05 pm
tomcat wrote:
nextbond wrote:Or to get more customers to sign up, lower the price of Premier to something like $79-$99/year.

A subset of the premier feature would be nice. There are only a few features that I am interested in anyway.

https://www.ooma.com/premier/features

Features à la carte sounds good.

• Advanced Calling TBD
  • Enhanced Voicemail $4.99 per month OR $49.99 per year
  • Privacy TBD
  • Personalization TBD
#77458 by Davesworld
Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 am
I really do not see how ooma would be able to afford offering this again. A lot of things were offered at a loss during the growing phase where they had a lot of capital to burn through. Those days are gone forever. There is not much money in VOIP. To even get the market penetration Vonage has, one would have to have been to market with a huge advertising campaign before Vonage did years ago. Sure you can get onesies and twosies to leave landline still but certainly not like 2004. The small VOIP companies usually are the ones that offer top quality yet are less expensive than the big well known VOIP companies and have steadily made positive cash flow. Some will actually sell you a preconfigured ATA if you are not a BYOD type but love their quality and price.