Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#73550 by DawnW
Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:23 pm
Is $9.99 really an outrageous amount for an app? It is a one time fee isn't it? Not monthly.

Of course, I have never even had an "app" on anything as I have a cell phone that is only a cell phone, so maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

Dawn
#73591 by JacobsLive
Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:50 pm
It is not worthy buying this app for $10.00. I found a big bug in this app and reported it to Ooma. I hope they will fix it soon. If you have any other VOIP app running in the background, Ooma mobile might clash with them. I had this problem on iPhone. While running the other VOIP app in the background, Ooma mobile wont let me login.

Secondly you pay for an app first, then pay another $10 each month to use that app. It is pure rip-off. Ooma service itself is rip-off unless you stick to their basic plan which lacks some basic features!
#73605 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 am
JacobsLive wrote:Secondly you pay for an app first, then pay another $10 each month to use that app. It is pure rip-off. Ooma service itself is rip-off unless you stick to their basic plan which lacks some basic features!

You are mistaken. There is no recurring cost to the Ooma app.
What "basic features" do you think are missing from the Ooma basic plan?
Even if you subscribe to Premier, how is $10 per month for all the Premier features a rip off?
#73609 by JacobsLive
Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 am
Even if you subscribe to Premier, how is $10 per month for all the Premier features a rip off?

I know there is no recurring cost to use Ooma App. But to use the Ooma app effectively you need to subscribe to the premium service worth $10 a month. Also you are limited to 250 minutes of US calls unless you purchase Ooma prepaid services. Thats what I meant about Ooma Mobile App.

I have been using PhonePower for over two years and recently got into Ooma. When I compare what I am getting from PhonePower and what I getting from Ooma, I believe it is a rip-off. They call it Premium services, those I do get from PhonePower without paying any Premium, except for GoogleVoice Integration. GV is not important for me as I use GV app on my mobile. I am paying around $24 a month to PhonePower with 1260 international minutes and dedicated second line (capable to make conference call with 5 people) and all other features Ooma describe as premium. I have to pay $23.50 a month to Ooma to have all those features and then my international minutes will be reduced to 1000 and conference facility be reduced to 3 people with Ooma after paying $250 for their premium device. If two people want to make simultaneous calls with Ooma you have to buy another handset which has a lot of bad reviews all around. So if you do basic math and comparison, you will find that it is rip-off (At least I found it that way).

Ooma is the best choice for basic users who limit their calls within US without any doubt.
#73632 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm
JacobsLive wrote:

I know there is no recurring cost to use Ooma App. But to use the Ooma app effectively you need to subscribe to the premium service worth $10 a month. Also you are limited to 250 minutes of US calls unless you purchase Ooma prepaid services. Thats what I meant about Ooma Mobile App.

But this is what you said:

JacobsLive wrote:Secondly you pay for an app first, then pay another $10 each month to use that app. It is pure rip-off. Ooma service itself is rip-off unless you stick to their basic plan which lacks some basic features!

You still haven't explained what "basic" features are missing from the free basic plan. Anyway, you don't have to subscribe to any plans in order to use the Ooma app. You just need a balance in your prepaid account. 250 minutes free if you are Premier...but if you are not a Premier member, you are only talking about $5 if you use 250 minutes. The app is very convenient for many folks. People who have a prepaid balance, they can leverage it and call internationally anywhere they have wifi/3G. People who are on one of the International Plans, they can access their bucket of minutes anywhere they have wifi/3G. Bottom line is that your statement wasn't fair.

JacobsLive wrote:I have been using PhonePower for over two years and recently got into Ooma. When I compare what I am getting from PhonePower and what I getting from Ooma, I believe it is a rip-off. They call it Premium services, those I do get from PhonePower without paying any Premium, except for GoogleVoice Integration. GV is not important for me as I use GV app on my mobile. I am paying around $24 a month to PhonePower with 1260 international minutes and dedicated second line (capable to make conference call with 5 people) and all other features Ooma describe as premium. I have to pay $23.50 a month to Ooma to have all those features and then my international minutes will be reduced to 1000 and conference facility be reduced to 3 people with Ooma after paying $250 for their premium device. If two people want to make simultaneous calls with Ooma you have to buy another handset which has a lot of bad reviews all around. So if you do basic math and comparison, you will find that it is rip-off (At least I found it that way).

Ooma is the best choice for basic users who limit their calls within US without any doubt.

I strongly disagree. Your choice of word "rip-off" is completely inappropriate here. Ooma charges $9.99 for Premier service but PhonePower charges you $18.02 (2 year ball & chain price; you would cough up $432.48 in 2 years!!!) and you don't think PhonePower is charging you "premium" price?!!! While Ooma is awesome for basic users, Ooma is also great for others as well. Case in point: I have friends who want basic phone service yet want to make lots of international calls. With Ooma's Basic 1000 International Plan, the only cost is $11.79 including tax (+RRF if any). Now, that's a lot better than iTalkBB $27.94, Vonage World $33.52, and yes, PhonePower $25.97+ (with 2 year contract; I couldn't find a plan you described for only $24 a month; the best I could do was the 2 year contract price - early termination $99 - at $18.02/mo after tax + $7.95 -not sure if there is tax to this- Global Plus Add-On for the international minutes bolt on which comes out to $25.97+)

Do iTalkBB, Vonage World, and PhonePower come with more features than Ooma basic? You bet ya! Do my friends need 'em? Nope. That's why they rather pay $11.79 per month rather than the $26 to $34 per month. BTW, 1000 minutes of international calling is a lot; my friends don't come close to using it up; that's like 30 minutes everyday without fail..if you miss a day, you got to rack up 1 hour the next day just to catch up.

FYI, Ooma vs iTalkBB and Vonage World: viewtopic.php?t=9230

If you need all the features Ooma Premier offers and also have a need for significant international calling, you don't necessarily need to go for the $9.99 1000 min plan. You may opt for the 500 min International Plan instead which costs only $4.99 (with Premier, total is less than $16 or around $19 if you have RRF).

You see, different people have different needs....just because Ooma's Premier and 1000 min International Plan added up comes close (still less) to what PhonePower charges their 2 Year Ball & Chain customers, and Ooma doesn't have some features that PhonePower has, you can't call Ooma "rip-off."

You JUST can't because you'd have to call PhonePower "rip-off" too since Ooma charges less yet offers some Premier features that PhonePower doesn't have:

• Broadband answering machine (with play, stop, delete buttons etc)
  • Call Screening
  • Community Blacklist on top of Personal Blacklist
  • 2nd number which can be assigned to a private device with whole separate my.ooma.com and private voicemail
  • GVE (as you mentioned)
  • Bluetooth

You'd also have to call PhonePower "rip-off" because their included international calling is only to 55 countries with 10 destinations including mobile yet Ooma includes 70 countries with 15 destinations including mobile.

The net net of it is...... I have a real problem with your choice of word "rip-off"....maybe "other providers fit your needs better" would have been better.
#73666 by NB2A
Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 am
This app is a ripoff as others stated! I have yet to get it work on an android 2.2 platform.I can log on but cannot get icon to turn from red to blue as it is supposed to.I keep getting network disconnect message either on 3g or Wifi after dialing a number. This app should be free until the bugs are worked out and looking at all the issues posted on the market comments.Customer support once again has also proven to be clueless about a fix!
#73672 by JacobsLive
Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 am
@ lbmofo
I was going to reply you in details, then on the second thought I understand that you are a Ooma fanboy and whatever you hear against Ooma might hurt your feelings. So if you think Ooma is the best choice stick with it.

There are so many features that PhonePower offers that Ooma dont; and even if Ooma offer those features in the future, it would be "Premium Premium" service.

So in short, I don't want to waste my time here with Ooma and PhonePower comparison, I have better things to do.

For me, Ooma with the premium service along with its Mobile App is a rip-off, period.
I repeat that for basic users, Ooma is the best choice.
#73684 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:39 am
JacobsLive wrote:I understand that you are a Ooma fanboy and whatever you hear against Ooma might hurt your feelings. So if you think Ooma is the best choice stick with it.

Just a fan but even if not a fan, my motto would still be "speak up everytime I hear/see BS."

JacobsLive wrote:There are so many features that PhonePower offers that Ooma dont; and even if Ooma offer those features in the future, it would be "Premium Premium" service.

So in short, I don't want to waste my time here with Ooma and PhonePower comparison, I have better things to do.

Yep, like I said, different people have different needs. If you feel compelled to get tied to ball & chain and shell out $432.48 every 2 years because you need them features, more power to you.

JacobsLive wrote:For me, Ooma with the premium service along with its Mobile App is a rip-off, period.

Like I said, I have a real problem with you using the word "rip-off" describing Ooma services. Especially from someone who is happily tied to a 2 year ball & chain while shelling out $432.48 ($623.28 with international bolt-on) in the process. Looks and smells like BS to me so I am speaking up.

Besides, over a quarter of PhonePower reviews saying "not recommended" can't be good: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/user_revi ... =1&mode=no
#73723 by JacobsLive
Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 pm
lbmofo wrote:Like I said, I have a real problem with you using the word "rip-off" describing Ooma services. Especially from someone who is happily tied to a 2 year ball & chain while shelling out $432.48 ($623.28 with international bolt-on) in the process. Looks and smells like BS to me so I am speaking up.

Yeah right!
Here is the break up to use Ooma vs PhonePower for 2 years. Here I am considering the tax and other costs involved in NJ. Others may have different figures.

Ooma Equipmet 266.43 (including tax)
Omma Basic+Premium+1000International Minutes = 564.00
Total: 830.43

PhonePower for 2 years (I am taking your calculation itself with International Bundle): 623.28

Difference: 207.15 Ooma=Rip-Off

Now my personal usage of international minutes are between 1500-2000 a month. So for example I am consuming another 1000 minutes a month with Ooma, I will pay additional $20 a month apart from the above calculation. At the same time I will pay $10.36 with PhonePower. If you consider that $9.64/month diference for 2 years I will pay additional 438.51 to Ooma which is a Rip-Off (207.15+9.64x24.

Now, you may argue that Ooma equipment is one time investment. Is there any guarantee that it will work after 2 years? Ooma itself offering maximum 2 years with its extended warranty service. So after 2 years if your equipment works you are lucky, otherwise you know it! Now even if I consider that my equipment is working after two years and deduct the equipment cost of $266.43, I will be overpaying $172.08 to Ooma which is a rip-off.

Why I am comparing PhonePower and Ooma? Because at least according to my knowledge they are the only two companies officially support physical fax transmission and unofficially support connection to most of the alarm systems.

Just a fan but even if not a fan, my motto would still be "speak up everytime I hear/see BS."

I am glad that you have admitted that you are a fan. Me, I am not even a fan of PhonePower. I have reviewed positively and also criticized PP via dslreports. I am just a satisfied customer with PP. If any other VOIP company coming out there with fax/alarm support and provide reliable and cost effective service I will jump in there and ditch PP. Now readers will find out who is BSing :)

Besides, over a quarter of PhonePower reviews saying "not recommended" can't be good: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/user_revi ... =1&mode=no

May be you never visited this site before. They have customer reviews and recommendation for not only VOIP but also for many other services like Cable/Internet etc.
http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/3039

Now just for the record:
Am I keeping Ooma service? Yes.
My new setup is Ooma with Premium = $13.50/month
Voipdiscount SIP for making international calls assuming that I will make 2000 international minutes=$16.00/Month (.008 cent/minute for the destination I call mostly)
Total: $29.50 (including all taxes)
Still better than Vonage and PP and I can still use Fax/Alarm System.
Am I ditching PP: Yes :) But I could not have done this just with Ooma, I had to get another SIP provider too.

BottomLine:
Will I recommend Ooma for Power users? NO
Will I recommend Ooma for Basic users? Yes
Is Ooma a rip-off for Power users? Yes
Is Ooma a rip-off for Basic users? No way!

Well I am ready to continue this.... :)
#73727 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:29 pm
Ooma Equipment is a one time cost, after 2+ years, you'd be saving even in your extreme example. 2+ long years only because you deem necessary to subscribe to both Premier and 1000 international plan. Most folks don't need to and more importantly, are not required to do so. So even in your extreme example, Ooma demonstrates savings in the long run; don't know why you call Ooma a "rip-off." If you're unlucky and your Ooma breaks every 2 years, then it will cost you more, of course. But who says you have to buy new at retail all the time?

That additional long distance consumption, I don't get where you are coming from. You try to use Ooma outside the realm of what they offer as far as "value" package and you blame Ooma for that? C'Mon Man!

If you do well above 1000 international minutes a month, stop complaining and go with Vonage World.

JacobsLive wrote:Now just for the record:
Am I keeping Ooma service? Yes.
My new setup is Ooma with Premium = $13.50/month
Voipdiscount SIP for making international calls assuming that I will make 2000 international minutes=$16.00/Month (.008 cent/minute for the destination I call mostly)
Total: $29.50 (including all taxes)
Still better than Vonage and PP and I can still use Fax/Alarm System.
Am I ditching PP: Yes :) But I could not have done this just with Ooma, I had to get another SIP provider too.

BottomLine:
Will I recommend Ooma for Power users? NO
Will I recommend Ooma for Basic users? Yes
Is Ooma a rip-off for Power users? Yes
Is Ooma a rip-off for Basic users? No way!

If Ooma is such a "rip-off," why do you intend to continue with Ooma? I don't think I can call you a basic user...am I missing something? You leverage Ooma to enable $ savings for yourself (I don't care what you also have to get outside of Ooma) and yet you call Ooma "rip-off?" C'Mon Man! Let your actions do your talking; if Ooma is "rip-off," why are you sticking with it?

Still looks and smells like BS to me! Tell you the truth, I am overwhelmed with disgust right now.