Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#71529 by murphy
Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:25 pm
No company is going to announce a replacement product before it is available.
It puts a halt to sales of the current product and quite possibly would get them in trouble with the SEC.
#71549 by DTMF
Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:31 pm
murphy wrote:No company is going to announce a replacement product before it is available.
It puts a halt to sales of the current product
I agree.

I have no insider information here, so this is an educated guess. It's quite possible the answer to when a new handset will be released is never. There might be a replacement for the Telo in the pipeline and it's possible that the replacement uses either a different, incompatible handset or a different second-line paradigm entirely. I'm a Telo owner and I've never been too crazy about the handset approach, so this may be wishful thinking on my part. ;)
#71675 by Davesworld
Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:58 pm
murphy wrote:No company is going to announce a replacement product before it is available.
It puts a halt to sales of the current product and quite possibly would get them in trouble with the SEC.

What? The Telo was hyped up almost a year before it arrived and even then it was not ready yet. People did and still buy Hubs if they can. It (Telo) was rushed out for the 2009 holiday season but actually became usable months later. If they had something coming they would tell you at least six months to a year in advance. There is no way Ooma could afford to quietly develop something and spring it on the public instantly. The money to do it that way is simply not there and even if they did have the millions to do this, it's a huge risk to develop something and get it ready to market, much less produce a sizable quantity all without the public's knowledge and then find that they grossly miscalculated the interest it would garner.

Truth is, almost ALL companies announce replacement products months before they are produced. If they didn't, they would not attract investment if they are publicly traded or in this case, private ventures or even more important, public interest. Remember all the wooing to get VC money in 2009 in anticipation of the Telo release for the Holidays in 2009? This year is not even in the same league. CES is a week or so away for 2011. What has anyone heard?
#72850 by FLX
Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:54 am
I love the Ooma, but don’t know why I get an eerie feeling about the future of the company… by now I expected to at least hear about new products, not necessary replacement of the currents ones, but options like several handsets to choose from some with more advance features, muti-lines for businesses, etc… “ people in charge” > WAKE UP!
#72872 by southsound
Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 am
I have seen a lot of marketing team changes in ooma since I first connected the hub to my network in February of 2009. From Rich Buchannan (now passed) to Tami Bhaumik to the current Jim Gustke. What has not changed is the rock solid management and contributions of Toby Farrand, Vice President of Engineering Operations, Dennis Peng, Vice President of Product Management, Bobby Biswall, Norman Toy and others. This team has been able to accomplish something that is very important to me: great phone service that saves me LOTS of money. Would new features be nice? Kind of depends - we recently got Premier Extensions for Google Voice but I like naked GV better. We got HV voice which is wonderful for people who call between Telo handsets - again, not so much for me. But we also got PureVoice which is a great improvement for some with less than perfect Internet connections.

I would love to have a headset jack on my Telo handset. I would also like to see a true wired second line. It has been said that there may be a box created for the Telo that offers that - either through USB or the DECT 6 engine - but no dates and nothing said in recent months. They have also talked about future business solutions. Bottom line, I will be happy to wait for these things to happen (or not) based on their knowledge of core competencies, costs, engineering challenges, market conditions, etc. What I REALLY want from ooma, I already get: great phone service that saves me LOTS of money. JMHO.