Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#71305 by borisgoodenough
Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:50 am
Now that Ooma includes monthly tax billings for all newer users, it's hard to see why you can't integrate international per-call, pay-as-you-go billing instead of requiring prepaid deposits or monthly calling plans.

I'm a newer customer, and this is the only consumer-unfriendly part of Ooma I've found. As someone who makes only occasional overseas calls, I'd like to be able to pick up the phone, dial, and have the call included in my monthly credit card charge -- not hassle with deposits to a separate prepaid account or signing up for a recurring charge I'll rarely need.
#72188 by southsound
Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 pm
galandy wrote:Agreed, please add international per-call balling to the monthly tax statement!

As a person who lived in Berkeley in the late 60's and early 70's, I guess that foreign intimate relations might be a natual expansion of what we called "free love" but I think expecting our phone service to deliver it might be a little bit of a stretch. :P
#72206 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:52 am
borisgoodenough wrote:Thanks for my first laugh of the morning, southsound!

I had a good laugh too :P

galandy, nothing against you but honest mistake plus what SouthSound said.... ;)
#72477 by leob
Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:17 pm
I'd venture a guess that having prepaid international calling instead of per-call billing results in huge customer support savings. If there is no need to keep personnel responding to complaints about international charges of hundreds or thousands of dollars for various reasons, and if in case of legitimate complaints the charges that need to be reversed are no greater than the amount on the prepaid account (usually no greater than tens of dollars) the costs can be kept low.
#72496 by borisgoodenough
Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:37 am
leob wrote:I'd venture a guess that having prepaid international calling instead of per-call billing results in huge customer support savings. If there is no need to keep personnel responding to complaints about international charges of hundreds or thousands of dollars for various reasons, and if in case of legitimate complaints the charges that need to be reversed are no greater than the amount on the prepaid account (usually no greater than tens of dollars) the costs can be kept low.

The point is certainly valid, but there are more consumer-friendly solutions. For example -- Ooma could continue to offer prepaid or recurring plans for people who make a lot of int'l calls, but set a $50 (or $20 or $100) monthly account cap on non-plan international charges so less-frequent international callers can still make the random call as needed.