Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#71274 by GrayWolf
Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:54 pm
I have to say that Ooma is leaving me feeling exceptionally frustrated right now. I initiated a number transfer request at the same time that I finally signed up for the annual "Premier" service: 11/19/2010. The number that I am trying to port is coming from Vonage via their "Virtual Number" feature - the main # is staying with Vonage until the day I cancel that service (IF I cancel, at this point). The port was scheduled to happen on 12/7/2010. That got bumped to 12/17/2010. I could have "lived" with this if the port had actually taken place successfully on the 17th. Unfortunately, that did not happen.

What DID happen is this: my family and friends called me on my cell to report that the Vonage # is now reporting as being "No longer in service" (it has subsequently gone to "Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and dial again." -- which loops on itself). I checked the "My Ooma" page for porting status and find:

"There was a problem displaying your porting status. One or more fields may be missing. Please contact Ooma support for more information. "

I called in about this and was told that it was unusual to see that. I was given the usual "Calm the customer down via our normal script that says that these things happen and to be patient." kind of line which only served to annoy me more. All that I have ever been looking for is a straight answer as to "What is the REAL status of this port?" "In process" is simply not good enough when it seems like my number is now in jeopardy.

I called in Saturday and Sunday of this past weekend figuring that, if nothing else, the error message about "One or more fields may be missing." could be addressed in the meantime.

Now we arrive at today. I log into the "My Ooma" site to find that the Porting Status page is STILL broken.

"There was a problem displaying your porting status. One or more fields may be missing. Please contact Ooma support for more information. "

Folks, this is NOT good customer service whatsoever. Leaving me in the dark about the status of my account is a good way of really ticking me off.

I called in at 9:17AM this morning and spent another 20 minutes explaining to people that I want to know why my port is seeming to be such a problem when Number Ports are no longer such a "strange and mysterious" thing. C'mon folks -- we've been using number ports for a few years now. This process should be relatively painless! But I digress.

At 9:17AM I speak with "Randy". Randy explains that his group has absolutely no way to contact the people who work on number ports outside of email. I ask to speak with a supervisor about this and end up with a gentleman named "Mike" (or "Michael"). Ultimately, Mike promises a callback "within the day" about my port status. I've waited several hours now and while I do realize that "within the day COULD mean up to the very end of the business day, I do not particularly like the idea of sitting around and HOPING for a call back. I've been burned far too many times by "Customer Service" reps who do not maintain ownership on issues such as this and use the "We'll call you back" method to get a frustrated/disgruntled customer off the phone.

I called in just now at 4:19PM and someone named "Anne" picks up. I cut right to the chase and ask to speak with "Mike" about my porting issue. Anne puts me on hold for about 8 minutes only to come back to say that "Mike" is in an "urgent" meeting. I ask to speak with ANY supervisor and am told that they're ALL in this so-called "urgent" meeting.

Uhm. How can ANY properly-ran Customer Service department operate without at least _1_ supervisor on the floor to talk with unhappy customers?!

Can someone please explain to me how this company survives with off-shore support that seems to be badly mismanaged?
Last edited by GrayWolf on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
#71280 by GrayWolf
Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:10 pm
So it turns out that Supervisor Mike has proven himself to be untrustworthy after all. After promising to call me back by the end of the day, he was conveniently "in an urgent meeting" all day and has gone home.

Ooma's support is proving to be horrendous. I really need to talk to someone who has more power than this outsourced support "team" is capable of providing.
#71304 by GrayWolf
Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:46 am
lbmofo - Just wanted to post a public "Thank you!" to yourself as well as to ntoy.

As of this moment my number has been successfully ported to Ooma and I can safely cancel my Vonage account at last. What a great feeling!!

Also - a final note regarding the Support Team. Donnie (the last supervisor that I spoke with) kept his word and called me back just a few minutes ago also to confirm that the number port had been completed and all should be working. I am very appreciative of his willingness to go that "extra mile" and call me back, as he promised.

I am very much looking forward with moving on to being a happy Ooma customer now. :D
#71318 by cabasili
Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:27 pm
Yep, I just went through the same thing with Vonage. Multiple calls, etc. Vonage, it seems, is loosing too many customers and seems to slow down the process of porting, not a professional thing to do, never mind ethics. But the real truth lies in the fact that Vonage does not play a role in transferring a number to another carrier. Vonage partnered with 3rd party carriers who own the numbers and it is between their 3rd party partner carrier and Ooma that dealings take place. In order to get your number transferred from Vonage over to Ooma, tell Ooma to port your number over via their web request and then the fun begins because Vonage is a VOIP service and Ooma must submit their request for your number to a 3rd party carrier, and not Vonage, which, of course, isn't all that much in a hurry to tell Ooma which 3rd party carrier truly owns your number. If you determine what the specific reason as to why your number port is stalled, or why you received a rejection to your transfer request, you can help Ooma by asking Vonage for assistance by emailing them at portout@vonage.com and informing them as to what the specific rejection reason is, and don't be afraid of reminding them it's your number not theirs. There's more. Vonage claims they are "not made aware of your desire to port out your number nor of any rejections you may receive... (and they) are not aware such transfers are in progress nor when they are completed." While it's true Ooma is in charge of overseeing the entire transfer process and provides status updates, specific rejection reasons if they arise, and a confirmed date of transfer as to when you can expect to have your number activated into their service, Vonage says they "do not have the capability to influence, impede or delay a transfer as this matter is out of (their) control and that this transaction is taking place between (Voanage's) 3rd party carrier and (Ooma)". Of course, I wonder if Vonage could help identify the 3rd party carrier more quickly??? Hmmmmm, go figure. I helped get my port moving faster when I called Vonage and demanded to speak to a supervisor or the CEO and not some first tier customer service rep with a script. It really got their attention and later that same night, lo and behold, my port was completed. I still have a few quirks I need to work out with Ooma, but my experience proves Ooma isn't the problem as much as another VOIP provider is and continues to be. Hope this helps! ;)
#71322 by ntoy
Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:23 pm
cabasili wrote:Yep, I just went through the same thing with Vonage. Multiple calls, etc. Vonage, it seems, is loosing too many customers and seems to slow down the process of porting, not a professional thing to do, never mind ethics. But the real truth lies in the fact that Vonage does not play a role in transferring a number to another carrier. Vonage partnered with 3rd party carriers who own the numbers and it is between their 3rd party partner carrier and Ooma that dealings take place. In order to get your number transferred from Vonage over to Ooma, tell Ooma to port your number over via their web request and then the fun begins because Vonage is a VOIP service and Ooma must submit their request for your number to a 3rd party carrier, and not Vonage, which, of course, isn't all that much in a hurry to tell Ooma which 3rd party carrier truly owns your number. If you determine what the specific reason as to why your number port is stalled, or why you received a rejection to your transfer request, you can help Ooma by asking Vonage for assistance by emailing them at portout@vonage.com and informing them as to what the specific rejection reason is, and don't be afraid of reminding them it's your number not theirs. There's more. Vonage claims they are "not made aware of your desire to port out your number nor of any rejections you may receive... (and they) are not aware such transfers are in progress nor when they are completed." While it's true Ooma is in charge of overseeing the entire transfer process and provides status updates, specific rejection reasons if they arise, and a confirmed date of transfer as to when you can expect to have your number activated into their service, Vonage says they "do not have the capability to influence, impede or delay a transfer as this matter is out of (their) control and that this transaction is taking place between (Voanage's) 3rd party carrier and (Ooma)". Of course, I wonder if Vonage could help identify the 3rd party carrier more quickly??? Hmmmmm, go figure. I helped get my port moving faster when I called Vonage and demanded to speak to a supervisor or the CEO and not some first tier customer service rep with a script. It really got their attention and later that same night, lo and behold, my port was completed. I still have a few quirks I need to work out with Ooma, but my experience proves Ooma isn't the problem as much as another VOIP provider is and continues to be. Hope this helps! ;)

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this information! I'm sure it can help others!