Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#70489 by michaeld
Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:33 pm
I have read many posts about call quality. Many mention it can be affected by excessive jitter, latency etc.
I was just looking at the setup.ooma.com Ports tab and noticed that the MTU setting for both HOME and MODEM are set to 1500. SInce I am on ADSL I know this figure should never be set to more than 1492. Anything higher will probably cause the packets to be split and in my mind theoretically affect call quality.
Can this MTU setting be changed?
Any comments from anyone?
#70676 by Davesworld
Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:28 pm
michaeld wrote:I have read many posts about call quality. Many mention it can be affected by excessive jitter, latency etc.
I was just looking at the setup.ooma.com Ports tab and noticed that the MTU setting for both HOME and MODEM are set to 1500. SInce I am on ADSL I know this figure should never be set to more than 1492. Anything higher will probably cause the packets to be split and in my mind theoretically affect call quality.
Can this MTU setting be changed?
Any comments from anyone?

Only if you are pppoe due to the 8 unit overhead for the ppp itself and only at the ppp level, not nic. DHCP Mac such as Verizon West Ex GTE should remain at 1500. Even with pppoe do NOT change the mtu values of any ethernet interface! Only the pppoe connection itself should be 1492 for pppoe adsl. Many routers pppoe plugin sets it automatically at the ppp level only. Otherwise ppp options can be used to set manually.
#70957 by michaeld
Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:29 pm
Yes I am using a pppoe connection. I know my modem uses this. Also in reading through dslreports.com about MTU settings, the various network adapters on a computer should be set to a MTU of 1492 as well.
The question now is, how does one change the ooma telo settings?
#70968 by EricJRW
Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:49 pm
I don't recall an option for MTU on the ooma hub's setup page.
For the hub it's http://setup.ooma.com (http://172.27.35.1/), assuming you are plugged into the home port.
Maybe the same address works for the telo and it does have an option for MTU.
#70974 by murphy
Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:17 pm
Neither device, hub or Telo, has an option to change the MTU.
#70978 by Davesworld
Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:12 pm
michaeld wrote:Yes I am using a pppoe connection. I know my modem uses this. Also in reading through dslreports.com about MTU settings, the various network adapters on a computer should be set to a MTU of 1492 as well.
The question now is, how does one change the ooma telo settings?

You don't change it. I too frequent DSLR but don't take most members opinions as gospel. What you are attempting to do will NOT improve your call quality one iota. I never heard of anyone adjusting every nic on their lan to MTU 576 back when our firewall/routers had dialup as the wan connection or any nic in their network for that matter. As long as your ppp link is set for the highest MTU without packet fragmentation, you will not experience packet fragmentation to and from the internet on any device on your lan as everything else can handle higher MTU than your ppp link which is the only bottleneck in the chain.

You asked the question, "Can Telo MTU setting affect call quality"? The answer is no as no packet fragmentation will occur anywhere but over the ppp link only if the mtu is too high for the ppp overhead.

Any call quality problems you may be having are likely out of your control completely.