Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#70260 by tonylukac
Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:45 am
When the Ooma Telo is connected on the other side of a router, the Ooma firmware doesn't upgrade unless the Ooma is placed in the DMZ of the router. Perhaps it would work if you specified all the ports as recommended somewhere else in this forum for port forwarding, but my router doesn't allow specifying a range of ports for those in question, thus the DMZ is necessary. Hope this is a nice tip. :)
#70282 by murphy
Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:26 am
tonylukac wrote:When the Ooma Telo is connected on the other side of a router, the Ooma firmware doesn't upgrade unless the Ooma is placed in the DMZ of the router. Perhaps it would work if you specified all the ports as recommended somewhere else in this forum for port forwarding, but my router doesn't allow specifying a range of ports for those in question, thus the DMZ is necessary. Hope this is a nice tip. :)

I have both a hub and a Telo behind my router. Neither is in the DMZ and no port forwarding has been done. They both upgrade just fine. There is a vpn tunnel between the Ooma device and the Ooma server. The router has no idea what is happening inside of that tunnel. Ooma can connect to your device through the tunnel and retrieve the logs from it whenever they need to.
#70535 by tonylukac
Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:30 pm
Different routers must be different. I tell you it wasn't updating 'till it was placed in the dmz. What is the purpose of that port forwarding list for optimum performance going around on this forum when placed behind a router if it is completely like you say? The post url eludes me tho, sorry.
#70543 by murphy
Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:33 pm
The port forwarding is to open ports on routers that block outgoing ports. Residential routers do not block outgoing ports.
The expensive ones used by companies do block all except the necessary outgoing ports.