Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#4501 by southsound
Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:36 am
traveler,

Sadly, it is most likely the "partner" they use in this area. I don't get the echo on all calls - just SOME local ones. Othes are great, but I would hate to have a list of numbers to check to make sure I could use ooma. It is a little odd to tell a person I call, "let me call you on a different number - the echo is so bad I can't talk to you."

Yesterday I was told that the engineers set up an ooma in their lab with a number just one digit off from my number - and were able to duplicate the echo. They had a meeting and I was supposed to get a call from someone to give me an update. I have not received a call today yet, so I have taken on a project to call executives until someone calls me back with status or a fix. You can read about my journey at the following link: http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=784 . Please don't misunderstand. I really want to be happy with ooma.

Update: as of March 18, ooma has completely solved my echo problems. So now, I really AM happy with ooma.
Last edited by southsound on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
#5064 by garg11
Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:48 am
I bought MagikJack ,and found that it is good staff but your PC suppose to work 24/7. I really don't like. I continue to find good solution for cancel verizon money-eat monster.
When I found ooma - it is really rock. I bought it and still happy more then 3 month already.
Also I found good solution for my MagikJack - I sent it to my parents to Ukraine and now they have US local phone right in their table. We call them, and they call us any time for $19.99 per year.It sounds like almost free.(less $2 per month)
#5291 by Robspace1
Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 am
O Boy-A Magic Joke section, perfect! I have alot of stories from that sorry outfit. I was a Magic Jack user, supporter and even helped alot of other people on the unofficial Magic Jack forum for nearly 3 years.
I have had many converstions with Dan Barsilow, the owner and have had his top tech support people helping me over the years to try to get a decent sounding phone.

If you still have this device and you need some tech help, don't even waste your time with the online people. They are virtually useless and are basically there just to pick up the recievers to keep the phones from ringing. They will not help you any, at all, at any time, ever!

Now, if you do want to contact some of their real tech support people, let me know and I'll be glad to email you a couple of their email address's so you can hopefully get the problem solved.
When this thing first came out it worked pretty good. But as they have grown, they have over sold their product and they have not invested in keeping up. They have plugged the lines and the audio quality is now terrible for most people. If yours is working good, then you are now in a small group of lucky people.

Over the years, I tried everything they told me too and nothing would work to get rid of the echo, or clicking or dropped calls etc. The last noises I started getting was the sound of the keypad being pressed. People were telling me to quit pressing the keys on the phone! Almost like I was picking up the sound of other people dialing numbers.

Right before I finally threw in the towel, I contacted Dan and complained about this and he sent me a new one, free. I tried it and it still sounds just as bad. So, it's not the hardware. Not my computer and not my software. The problem is their system is overloaded. Like they say in the stupid infomercials, their selling 300,000 every month or some such unbelievable number like that. I now own two Magic Jacks -they make good door stoppers!

-O-for the lady that had them returned. MJ allows you to change the number one time free-after that it's $10.00-so, if the people that sent them back want to do that for you, they can. Or wait till Xmas and hang them on your Xmas tree-When lit up the blue light looks great on the tree!

It is not worth even 20 bucks a year to have my friends get mad and not want me to call them with this thing, so I switched. I found a brand new Ooma Hub online for $195.00 and it's the best money I ever spent. This phone sounds great every time. I did have a few echos at first but then I set up the Quality Of Service. It's defaulted at 300 mb or so and my download is 700. So now it sounds great. You may want to check yours-just read the QOS section. I really hope they hire more tech support people here and more phone staff. Other then that, this thing is great! A bonus-I will be moving to another state soon and they just told me I can keep my number-even use the same old area code in the new state! Nice!

This phone system was well thought out and well designed and it's light years from Magic Joke. This is a very sophisticated piece of hardware. If your Magic Jack is sounding good now, just wait-it's just a short matter of time before the audio in your area goes down the drain and your calls start sounding like your using a tin can with lots of echo and feedback. Man, people just love getting calls from people with that to listen to.lol-

If you need a MJ tech support person-write me at
Robspace1@msn.com
#5295 by Robspace1
Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:04 am
O-Just thought I would add that when I had Magic Jack, I started using a free long distance that really works. There is no charge ever for this and you only need a local phone to call anywhere, anytime in the US. For those people with friends that don't have long distance but do have a local phone or if they have long distance but would like to make all the calls for free, go here and fill out your name and that's it-no catch, nothing to join and no gimick at all. This is not spam and there is nothing being sold-FREE CALLS!
http://labs.jaduka.com/dukaDial
#5868 by socalgail
Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:15 am
MagicJack's EULA (End User Licensing Agreement) requires you to agree to have your calls tracked and your calling information sold to venders who then send you advertising customized to your outgoing calls. Under their TOS (Terms of Service) you lose your right to privacy. This information is not available until you read the fine print in the licensing agreement. Most people just click yes! How else do you think they can offer their calls at such a low price? Someone is going to pay. So for me, MagicJack was a non-starter. I returned the device and never even tried it out.

Check out item 11 in the TOS posted here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/5447043/magicJack-TOS
#5870 by Robspace1
Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:48 am
Hey-Would you guys like to see what alot of other people are now saying about Magic Jack? I had the thing for 3 years and it was a constant battle to get clear calls with no background noise or dropped calls. Well, yesterday I came across the Rip Off Files which is a site to report bad products. There is more then 150 Magic Jack posts on there ankd about 90% are negative.

Ya know, I don't like to beat up on anybodys dream project, but Dan Barsilow, the owner of Magic Jack has spent milions of dollars of his own money to develop this system and get it to market. But now, because it's been so much oversold, they are not able to keep up with the huge traffic flow and their servers are plugged.

The audio quality of Magic Jack is terrible now in most places and yet they continue to sell this thing. He needs to stop or he will be sued for fraud. He is now selling a defective product and he knows it. This is the same problem we are having with the banks and other lenders and car makers in this country. They want all the profits but are not putting out a good product. The cars are lousy,and the Japanese are still the best built cars in the world. I have a 92' Honda Accord that NEVER needs repairs!-Try that with a Ford or Chevy.
The banks are making bad loans then we bail them out. And this Magic Jack is just another failed product. Dan had a good thing at first. Now it's a terrible sounding headache to use. I have two of them and you can't pay me to use them. They make good door stops now. Read what others are saying now about MJ-it's sad when a guy spends millions of dollars then lets his company fall apart just to make as much as possible then take the money and run, which will be his next move as he does not seem to be wanting to fix the audio problems.

On the MJ Unofficial tech support forum, there used to be maybe 1 or 2 pages of complaints-now theres 20 or so-
http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresul ... =&start=25
#5871 by oomg
Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:59 am
socalgail wrote:MagicJack's EULA (End User Licensing Agreement) requires you to agree to have your calls tracked and your calling information sold to venders who then send you advertising customized to your outgoing calls. Under their TOS (Terms of Service) you lose your right to privacy. This information is not available until you read the fine print in the licensing agreement. Most people just click yes! How else do you think they can offer their calls at such a low price? Someone is going to pay. So for me, MagicJack was a non-starter. I returned the device and never even tried it out.

Check out item 11 in the TOS posted here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/5447043/magicJack-TOS

i'm not quite sure I agree with your reading of the specified paragraphs. A copy of the applicable provision from MJ's Privacy Policy follow.

oomg

How we use your Personal Information
In general, magicJack may use the personal information you give us in order to provide you with customized information relevant to your life, including information about goods and services in which you may be interested, which you can view on the magicPage. We also may use personal information to respond to your requests for information about goods and services, to improve magicJack’s performance, to contact you, to conduct research, and to provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.

magicJack won't ever rent, sell, or share your personal information with other people or other companies except to provide products or services which you have requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:

• We may provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or with magicJack. For example, it may be necessary to share personal information in order to allow you to use the free calling features that magicJack provides or to enroll you to receive free optional emergency calling services, or to provide you with free directory assistance. These companies may use your personal information to help magicJack provide you with their service.

• We may to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process from law enforcement agencies, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.

• We will share personal information in order to investigate, prevent, or take action to stop illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, to stop violations of magicJack’s Terms of Service, or as otherwise required by law.

• We will transfer personal information if magicJack is acquired by or merged with another company. We reserve the right to include your personal information, collected as an asset, in any such transaction.

Third Party Advertising
magicPage will show you advertisements from local businesses in your area for goods and services that may be of interest to you based upon the personal information you have chosen to provide us and based upon the pages you've visited using the magicJack portal. Advertisers may assume that people who interact with, view, or click targeted ads meet the targeting criteria. magicJack does not provide any personal information to the advertiser when you interact with or view a targeted ad instead, by interacting with or viewing an ad you are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will assume that you are interested in the ad and meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad. The advertisements appearing on magicPage are delivered to you by magicJack LP, our web advertising partner and are subject to magicJack’s Privacy Policy. We will not provide personal information to anybody else and we will keep your information private and housed on our secure servers.
#5873 by southsound
Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:04 am
Robspace,
Any chance that you are a disgruntled ex-employee of MagicJack or possibly a current employee of Jaduka? Out of your total posts, 100% have been to trash MagicJack - and with a lot of inside information that a casual user would not have.

I bought a MagicJack and after using it about 5 times passed it on to my daughter and bought ooma. I personally don't see the benefit of trashing another company on a forum dedicated to making the ooma experience better.

Just my humble opinion, YMMV. After all, raccoons don't know much about the business world. :)
#5876 by Robspace1
Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:21 am
Tenor wrote:Sorry to be devil's advocate here but the Magic Jack works fine for me. In fact, I sent it to a relative of mine who was doing work in Turks and Caicos and he loves it. He was even surprised how well it worked despite his bandwidth not being great. Every call we made to one another sounded like he was local and not thousand of miles away overseas.

Before I sent it away, I even tested it on my wi-fi and it worked flawlessly. I'll admit, my bandwidth is pretty great here.

Now MJ and ooma are two different devices with their own purpose. So just understand the pro's and con's of both. If you are traveling I'd definitely recommend MJ over ooma. It fits in your pocket and you can connect it to a Mac or PC. For the home or any non-mobile environment, ooma wins hands down.

As suggested, your experience will vary.

If I was traveling I would do myself a big favor and use a calling card from Ooma-at only a few pennys per minute and crystal clear calls, why would I even mess with something as bad as a 3rd world "phone" like MJ? Do you know that Magic Jack is not even listed as a phone carrier but as a "multimedia experience"? What does that tell you?

After 3 years of living with terrible audio and having to constantly make excuses to people for the bad sounds in the background, there is no way that thing is going traveling with me anywhere! God, that's a great way to spoil a good vacation-try calling friends back home to brag about your great vacation and all they hear is clicking and buzzing and beeping. lol great!
#5877 by Robspace1
Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:29 am
ooma1113 wrote:One can not compare Magic Jack and Ooma. Two completely different animals. I had MJ while in South Korea and the call quality back to the USA was superb. People were also able to call my MJ number and I would receive the calls just like I was here in the USA. I'm hoping my Ooma premier is going to be a success for me. I am worried by the many rants I am seeing regarding customer service and lack there of. I hope my number porting from Vonage goes off without a hitch. I still have my magic jack and bought the 5 year extension for $59.95. I more than paid for the first year during my 3 weeks in South Korea. So MJ has its' place in the market as does Ooma.

So are you trying to port a MJ number to Ooma or a Vontage number to Ooma? I was told yesterday that MJ numbers can't be ported because MJ owns them and they are not required to port numbers because they are not listed as a phone carrier but as a "multimedia experience" whatever that is but the FCC regulations about them required to port a number for a customer as long as it's in the local area does not apply to MJ. Now, I have not checked this info out so I don't really know if thats true or not. Maybe someone else does. Do you know anyone that has ported a MJ number to another carriewr?