How to reach US based support?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
thunderbird
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: How to reach US based support?

Post by thunderbird » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:46 am

Dear kieranmullen,
I wish to apologize for some of the other posters comments. Your response posts were very appropriate in response to the inappropriate statements of some of the other posters.

I have a great deal of respect for Southsound, because he realized his mistake, manned up and apologized.

“Please note that being rude or curt to unpaid volunteers who are offering you suggestions to your posted problem will likely diminish future responses, helpful or not. In the Ooma forums, you get what you (don't) pay for... Other customers are "working" for not much more than an occasional word of thanks and a sense of accomplishment. We _owe_ you no answers at all, period, no matter what your personal problem may be, who you are, or what work you do. I recommend that you take that into consideration when you formulate a reply even to the least helpful correspondent.”

The above statement sounds like someone with a chip on his shoulder, and has no value added to this Forum and no value in solving your problems.

Someone else needs to apologize also.

Regards,
Thunderbird

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: How to reach US based support?

Post by lbmofo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 am

thunderbird wrote:I have a great deal of respect for Southsound, because he realized his mistake, manned up and apologized.
I for one, saw nothing wrong with SouthSound's initial response; he was just being his "light hearted" self.

Given history, dont' think SouthSound would have even responded if he realized who the poster was.
viewtopic.php?t=9824#p68837
viewtopic.php?t=8862#p68070
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: How to reach US based support?

Post by southsound » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:54 pm

lbmofo wrote:
thunderbird wrote:I have a great deal of respect for Southsound, because he realized his mistake, manned up and apologized.
I for one, saw nothing wrong with SouthSound's initial response; he was just being his "light hearted" self.

Given history, dont' think SouthSound would have even responded if he realized who the poster was.
viewtopic.php?t=9824#p68837
viewtopic.php?t=8862#p68070
Thank you both. As I said in my response, no disrespect was meant by my original reply about trust issues - as we get on in years (and yes, I fit into that category) we become more aware that there are lots of people who want to take advantage. I have seen some folks hurt pretty badly when their guards were down so my reply was meant to make others aware that they just might not feel comfortable giving out the information. And yes, I did know what I was responding to Kieran. Maybe I've judged him a little too harshly from his first posts. This forum is much like a family to many of us and even in most natural families there will be disagreements. I just never want to make things hurtful and when I do, I do a 10th step amends.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

cmeisel
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 am

Re: How to reach US based support?

Post by cmeisel » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:42 pm

First of the title seems to indicate that you feel a US based support team will be much better than one overseas.
I can tell you from 10 years in the industry that that is not true. A support team is (in the US as well) usually better if there is a university near by but other than that they are as good as their training and what they are allowed to do.
Most support departments (first tier) are not allowed to do any guessing, improvising, etc. They have a script and need to follow it.
As for the security questions, I can see why it is needed. Otherwise you friend, former spouse, neighbor, etc can potentially call as well and get information about your account or even get changes made.

So I am not sure what valid point is left of the posting. This is the way most companies work and Ooma seems to be no exception.

thanks

kieranmullen
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: How to reach US based support?

Post by kieranmullen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Please re read above why I believe it is not a security related option answers have already been given.
cmeisel wrote:First of the title seems to indicate that you feel a US based support team will be much better than one overseas.
I can tell you from 10 years in the industry that that is not true. A support team is (in the US as well) usually better if there is a university near by but other than that they are as good as their training and what they are allowed to do.
Most support departments (first tier) are not allowed to do any guessing, improvising, etc. They have a script and need to follow it.
As for the security questions, I can see why it is needed. Otherwise you friend, former spouse, neighbor, etc can potentially call as well and get information about your account or even get changes made.

So I am not sure what valid point is left of the posting. This is the way most companies work and Ooma seems to be no exception.

thanks

kieranmullen
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: How to reach US based support?

Post by kieranmullen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:08 pm

Before I had a chance to pm ntoy inlaws called. Were told there would be a caller id name change fee.

This account was not setup properly to begin with. My name was associated with the bill where the numbers were being transferred from.
Thanks anyway
southsound wrote:Forgive me if my post was taken with offense. No ill thoughts were intended. I just know that many times older folks (like myself) are not willing to give out security information. Much to their credit because it probably keeps them safe. Ooma should be able to find a way to do it and still keep them (and you) comfortable. Maybe sending ooma an email to support from their account would serve to verify who they are and what they wanted done. If that is not possible, sending a PM to ntoy would do the job as well.

User avatar
lbmofo
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm
Location: Greater Seattle
Contact:

Re: How to reach US based support?

Post by lbmofo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:21 pm

The name associated with the number before port shouldn't matter. If the Ooma account name (at time of port) is what u want as the callerid name, there should not be a charge.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!

Image

Post Reply