Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#68964 by MrTesla
Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 pm
OK...I dig my new ooma but am starting to do the math after Support told me all my incoming calls come in on my landline(I need it here as we have frequent power outages).

So...a basic land line is 16.14 and has no Caller ID nor Call waiting or etc as features. If I want that I need to spend 28 dollars a month. I dumped my unlimited National Long Distance plan(ATT) which was 18 dollars so that's a savings.

But if I find out that us landline OOMA users need to have Call ID, Call waiting and Call waiting ID on the landline-then then the savings(with Premium) is about 6 buck a month net.

Anyone have a landline please LMK if you have to have these special features enabled just to have a "backup" line?

If so..I'll dry loop and buy a UPS....I am not saving enough money to make it worth it and I don't even have any Caller ID on my incoming calls right now-even though my DISH DVRs are decoding and displaying it on my TVs.

Man...I am so confused!

Regards......Greg
#68965 by murphy
Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:19 pm
Separate the land line from Ooma and leave it as a minimum cost phone for emergency purposes with no connection to the Ooma box..
Get a new number for Ooma with the Ooma in standalone mode and do all of your calling on Ooma.

If you want to keep your current number for daily use, port it to Ooma and get a new number for the land line.
#68966 by southsound
Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:41 pm
I agree with murphy. Landline integration does very little to enhance your ooma experience. In fact, it breaks many of the neat features that ooma offers through Premier. Like many others on the forum, I keep a basic landline because it only costs a few dollars more than paying the extra to have dry-loop DSL and that is my only option for high speed Internet where we live. I keep the landline totally separate - even use a cordless system with several handsets that are marked as they are the same brand and model I use with my Telo. I have Premier on the Telo but even if you just had the basic service you still get a LOT of neat things, like caller ID (number only, but your cordless phones may do a contact list lookup, depending on model), call waiting, voicemail, etc. Also note that even if you do have a UPS for your network and ooma device (highly recommended) and have a corded phone plugged in, you may not have service if the power goes out. Our Qwest phone line is run by batteries but the DSL is not backed up. So if the power goes out, our landline works but DSL is dead. Of course, you need a corded phone for the landline in these cases, but it is well worth it.

Second suggestion, if you don't care about your phone number, get a Google Voice number and use it as your main number to give out to folks. Then point it to your ooma system. If a problem comes up or if you need to change routing back to your landline, just change the settings in GV and nobody knows the difference. You can also use GV to ring your cellphone in case you are out of the house.

Welcome to ooma and to the forum!
#68968 by MrTesla
Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:28 pm
Great advice...Just trying to avoid the port of my number and going to a dryloop.

Someone said....

"In fact, it breaks many of the neat features that ooma offers through Premier"

What features would be disabled?

Regards...Greg
#68976 by southsound
Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:28 pm
Also, if you have basic landline service (no features) and a second call comes it, it has to go to busy. Using an ooma number and having the Telo in standalone configuration, the second call goes to voicemail. Also, one of the original testers told us that the "backup" feature of the Telo only works when the problem is a network outage. They left out the relay that would have given access to the landline in event of power loss. Note that I have not tried this but one of the folks who was testing with landline integration (and has now gone back to stand-alone configuration) told us this.

If you have a stand-alone configuration and a Telo handset, with Premier, when you are a call and another person calls, it gives you a call-waiting beep and rings the Telo handset. Nice if you have someone else in the house. They can pick up and carry on a totally separate conversation - or you can flash over and use regular call waiting. You can also have two outgoing calls or one of each with Premier and a Telo handset.