Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#66948 by Jarras
Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:24 pm
I signed up for the International Bundle about a week ago. Attempts to call numbers in Finland would be met with "You have xxx minutes left" Quick ring "That call cannot be connected. You have $xx.xx left" then click and a dial tone. I called Support. They said they'd work on it. Kept trying calls to Finland each day with same lack of success. After about 4 days, called again, they said they'd still keeping working on it. So I asked to have the bundle canceled (with intention to sign back up if Support ever came through to say the problem was fixed).

Tech support said they canceled the bundle. However, my account page says I still have it. But that's not the case: calls to those same numbers go through perfectly now and my pre-paid account is getting charged for them. So the bundle isn't active.

I love the Ooma service for domestic, but this international stuff is pretty hosed up. Anyone else with similar problems or suggestions on how to fix this? Absent a solution, I'll just use up my pre-paid account, but wish I could get the international bundle to work right. It would save me some cash.
#67020 by dynomite
Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:53 am
I am having the same problem with calling Thailand.

I am not on the bundle, but have converted 8 phone lines from Vonage to Ooma. Ooma's customer service is great compared to Vonage. But I wish they could hurry up and fix these problems with faxes and international calls.

My family and relatives are unable to connect or connect for short time and then gets disconnected. We lost two minutes for calls that were never connected.

We're going to purchase some phone cards to see if this will remedy our needs. Please let us know if there is any follow up. I would hate to convert everyone back to a more stable VOIP system.
#67291 by Jarras
Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:39 pm
My experience continues to be problematic with calls to Finland. Problem was described in original post at the start of this thread. After canceling the International bundle, calls started going through OK. So I signed up for the bundle again, and then the problems resumed, with about 1 call out of 10 connecting OK. The rest either didn't connect, or connected but one or both parties couldn't hear the other. Every time there's a problem, I then use a calling card and the calls goes through fine and I can learn from the other end what happened when I called with Ooma.

I called CS today, updated my service request, and had them cancel the bundle again. The CS agent said there are known routing problems they're working on. I asked if they use different routing for bundle plan vs. pre-paid account calls, and she said that might be a possibility.

I've read some other posts that speak of the same issue. It seems the routing used by Ooma can be very sketchy, possibly using inferior providers for low volume destinations. I'd guess it takes some engineers time working issues, maybe working provider agreements as well, and it just won't happen for calling destinations with low demand, like where I'm trying to call in central Finland.

Sigh. I still love the domestic service. But I guess I'll just burn up my pre-paid account (assuming it continues to work for international),then do all my international calling with a calling card. Maybe someday the Ooma CS fairy will actually send an e-mail to tell me they've resolved the issue, and I'll be able to get back on the International bundle. But I'm not holding my breath.
#68586 by gamb00ler
Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49 am
dynomite wrote:I am having the same problem with calling Thailand.

My family and relatives are unable to connect or connect for short time and then gets disconnected. We lost two minutes for calls that were never connected.

We're going to purchase some phone cards to see if this will remedy our needs. Please let us know if there is any follow up. I would hate to convert everyone back to a more stable VOIP system.

I too have very poor results calling Thailand. After exchanging many e-mails with various support personnel I was told they assigned a "ticket number" and elevated my problem to a higher level of support. It's been five weeks and no communication from Ooma. I still have severe connection problems with calls to Thailand.

I have switched to using a calling card to Thailand. This calling card has a local number to call and seems to work very well. It costs .5 baht/minute and can also be used for calls outbound from Thailand.

E-mail me if you'd like to know what calling card I use.

Gamb00ler
#69503 by ronanna
Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:37 pm
Hello Everyone.
I am new to this (ooma) and I attempted to call Thailand an hour ago. No luck. Then I called Customer Support and she attempted to dial it, which she then reported to me that "that number is disconnected." Well, I called a friend in London next, and had the same problem. So, I'm wondering if there's something going on with ooma and international calls, or if there's something I'm doing wrong.

Could someone post the "how to call Thailand format" please? (e.g., 011-66-XXX-XXX-XXXX)?

THANKS!
#69699 by barante
Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:30 pm
I have had the same problem with calls to Finland. Since most Finns these days don't have a landline, the international bundle doesn't work. If you pony up pre-paid minutes, everything works. Usually.