Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#66410 by MJermov
Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:32 pm
I need to have access to two lines with my ooma. For example, if I have 2 phone numbers and I am on phone # 1 and a second call comes through on phone # 1, does that second phone call on #1 transfer to the 2nd number so someone else in my household can answer that call while I am still on the phone? I need this to be possible if I am to keep my ooma system. Call waiting will not work. I have the ooma telo device.
#66412 by southsound
Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:53 pm
You don't even need to have two numbers. But you do need Premier and at least one Telo handset. With Premier, when a call comes in and you hear the call waiting beep, the phone you are not on will ring and if another person is there, they can pick it up. You also have the option to flash over to it and answer it yourself - great if nobody else is home. Now that call waiting ID is working (or will be shortly with the new release 1.41189 being pushed out to a Telo near you over the next few days) you can see who is calling as well. Note that multi-handset cordless systrems connected to the Telo base via the PHONE jackact as one phone - in other words, you can't go to Uniden handset 2 when you are on a call with Uniden handset 1. All phones plugged into the PHONE port of the base act as a single phone. That is why the Telo handset is required. If you do get a second number, make sure it is shared and not assigned to the handset or this will not work.

And while I'm at it, welcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:
#66418 by MJermov
Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:18 pm
Ok, that's good news! I just have to get a few things to get straight for my setup. So in my home, I have a two line phone base in one room and a second handset in another room. There are times when I'm in the room with the base and on the phone and a second call comes through and the call is answered by someone else using the second handset. In that type of situation with ooma premier (which I already bought a year) the second handset would have to be replaced by the telo handset? What is the situation is reversed and I am on the handset and another call comes through, can another person pick up the second call on the base while I'm still talking on the handset? Or if someone else is on the phone already, I assume if the first two situations are possible I could then pick up the handset or the base and make a call seperately? I'm gathering that in the room with the handset, I will have to keep the handset and get the telo handset? How do any of these situations work with just one phone number as well?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I feel like such a noob.
#66420 by southsound
Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:29 pm
MJermov wrote:Ok, that's good news! I just have to get a few things to get straight for my setup. So in my home, I have a two line phone base in one room and a second handset in another room. The two line phone will actually become a single line phone because the Telo only has one wired line available. If it is an older 2.4 or 5.8 ghz system, this might be an opportunity to replace it with a nice single line multiple handset system. I bought my Uniden DECT 6.0 1580-5 system for about $80 at Staples during a sale - that equals about $16 per handset!

There are times when I'm in the room with the base and on the phone and a second call comes through and the call is answered by someone else using the second handset. In that type of situation with ooma premier (which I already bought a year) the second handset would have to be replaced by the telo handset? Correct.

What is the situation is reversed and I am on the handset and another call comes through, can another person pick up the second call on the base while I'm still talking on the handset? You bet! Works the same way.

Or if someone else is on the phone already, I assume if the first two situations are possible I could then pick up the handset or the base and make a call seperately? I'm gathering that in the room with the handset, I will have to keep the handset and get the telo handset? How do any of these situations work with just one phone number as well? Yes to all of the above. The beauty of ooma is that even with one number, you can have multiple calls (up to two) going on at the same time. VoIP has a lot of advantages over the typical wireline services. This is one of those many advantages. As I said in my original reply, the system gives you the option of either taking the call as you would with a landline, by flashing over, or by having someone else take the call on another handset.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I feel like such a noob. We were all there once. I spent a lot of years working with a traditional telco (first ATT then Pacific Telesis) and some of the stuff we can do now literally blows my mind! We're glad you are here - sit back, enjoy for a while, ask as many questions as you need, and you will soon find yourself helping out other new users.
#66424 by MJermov
Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:28 am
Thanks! I think I'm getting a better idea of how this all works. One last question. So, I'm on a call with the non ooma handset and someone needs to use the base phone, from what I gather, the second line can only be accessed through the telo handset, correct? So, I would need two telo handsets? One in each location to either make or recieve a second call coming through while the other line is being used?
#66431 by southsound
Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:30 am
Exactly. We have two of the Telo handsets - and a lot of phones (Uniden 1580-5, three corded phones, an older 5.8ghz cordless) working off the Telo's PHONE port. I run the signal over our home wiring and also to our barn. Because of distance, if we're at the barn, we just have access to the base signal so we use call waiting there to take a second call.