Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#65757 by OldMacGuy
Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:02 am
The latest touch has a Mic. can i use this model without headphone to make calls with ooma mobile.

Also, please give review(s) of using ooma mobile with iPod touch in europe to call US.

Thanks

Dick
#65878 by OldMacGuy
Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 pm
I'll answer part of my own questions.

I purchased the ooma mobile app this morning. It took about 5-10 minutes to download from the apple site, get my user ID and password from ooma and make my first call using the contact list on the iPod touch.

Voice quality was good and with generation 4 of iPod touch (which has mic built in ) no headset or external mic was needed.

Also, since I received a $100.00 pre-paid credit when I purchased my ooma telo from Costco, I won't have to pay for calls while in Europe (if I can find free WiFi hotspots).
#65897 by PTS
Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:30 am
Thanks 'OMG' for relaying your experiences here. I may just purchase the new iPod Touch for this reason.

Ooma should update their FAQ page here: https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... mobile-faq
to reflect that the IPod Touch now has a mic.
#66147 by The Talker
Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:43 am
Does the 250 minutes for Premium Subscribers hold true for Life Time Premium Subscribers as well? I just want to be sure before I plunk down ten bucks Ooma's way.

I love the iPod touch 4th generation! (yeah, I play Angry Birds on it!)
#70093 by lbmofo
Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 pm
whooma wrote:Does anyone know if you have to be able to login to wi-fi in order to use the app? I mean most wi-fi are secured, right?

Yes, if wifi is your only way to the internet. With iPhone, you can use the 3G network also (I've even used EDGE without issues).
#70105 by whooma
Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:04 am
I thought we were talking about iPod touch, which only has wi-fi. I guess the nice thing about ooma mobile is that you don't need an actual cell phone to make outbound calls, provided you have access to wi-fi. There are probably enough free wi-fi hot-spots around to make this work.

I can just imagine a scenario where you go out carrying an iPod touch but not a cell phone. Someone calls home and leaves a message, which is sent to you by e-mail (premier feature). You arrive at a hot-spot and check your e-mail with iPod touch, find and listen to the message. Using ooma mobile on the same iPod touch, you are able to return the call. Since as a premier customer, you get 250 free minutes per month, it's like 250 talk minutes. That's a load of savings!

You see, my t-mobile contract is coming up and I'm wondering if I can ditch cell phone all together to save a wad of money month after month.
#70107 by dsinternet
Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:17 am
I would not drop the cell phone. It's nice to have in case of an emergence. I use a pre-paid cell plan that cost me less then $10 per month. (I use less then 20 mins per month). I use my touch for checking e-mail and call ( when I remember the mic (3G IPod)). McD's now has free wifi so it is fairly easy to find wifi now.