Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#64766 by hadam
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:01 pm
I have home ooma service. I also got iPhone. I travel lot. I spend many months in UK and Middle east. Can I use my iPhone on Wi-Fi with OOMA mobile app to call back to US???

Any feed back will be appreciated.
#64767 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:04 pm
Yes, this is one of the most attractive things about the ooma app.

If you have Premier, 250 min/month of free US calling. Otherwise, 1.9 cents/min.

This is very rare but with some wifi, the app can't connect because of the router firewall. But I've only seen this twice out of many times I tried using different wifi but I've never had trouble connecting to a public wifi.
Last edited by lbmofo on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#64768 by hadam
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:06 pm
So It means I can sign up with this new bundle $4.99 for 1000 minutes. I can go to UK and use my iPhone with Wi-Fi and call US number like I am in US and dialing my local numbers? Is my understanding is correct?
#64770 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:13 pm
hadam wrote:So It means I can sign up with this new bundle $4.99 for 1000 minutes. I can go to UK and use my iPhone with Wi-Fi and call US number like I am in US and dialing my local numbers? Is my understanding is correct?

Yes, good point on the newly available ooma app bundle. Yes, that's precisely what you can do.
#65074 by hadam
Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:15 am
I am in UK. I just got on my iPhone with OOMA Mobile app. It is working good. I can make phone calls to US on Wi-Fi and 3G network from UK back home like I am sitting in US.

It is worth to spend $9.99 for APP and $4.99 for 1000 minutes bundle.

Thanks OOMA, good job here. :D

One request, it would be nice if I can also recieve the incoming calls to my OOMA iPhone App.
#65075 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:34 am
hadam wrote:I am in UK. I just got on my iPhone with OOMA Mobile app. It is working good. I can make phone calls to US on Wi-Fi and 3G network from UK back home like I am sitting in US.

You pop in a local SIM to get 3G over there for local data rate?
#65109 by hadam
Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:00 pm
No, I did not buy the local SIM. I just used the ATT international 3G for 2 minutes to test the OOMA APP. 99.99% I am running my iPhone in Airplane Mode with Wi-Fi ON.

I just arrived in Helsinki, Finland from UK. I am at Holiday Inn in downtown Helsinki. I am using Holiday Inn Wi-Fi, and OOMA APP is working great. I don't see any problem. At Holiday Inn they are running Wi-Fi from http://www.sonera.fi and I don't have any problem connecting OOMA Mobile APP on it.

In couple of days, I will be in Cologne, Germany. I will try there also to make sure iPhone Mobile App doesn't have any issues. I will keep you posted.

One good thing I notice on 1000 minutes bundle, that OOMA even counts seconds. OOMA does not round your minutes to next minute, it counts the seconds. You get recording when you make phone calls on OOMA App "You have 850 minutes and 10 seconds".
#65358 by hadam
Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:04 pm
I reached the Cologne Germany today. OOMA mobile APP over Wi-Fi is working fine. I have been using my iPhone with OOMA and it has been working fine.

Is any one know how to do conference call with OOMA mobile APP???

One thing I did not like last night while using OOMA phone, I got alert pop up for something I have set up, my mistake I went to read the alert. This disconnect me from my OOMA phone call.

So, if you are using OOMA Mobile APP on iPhone, please stay on OOMA iPhone mobile App screen, don't try to get out and go to any other screen, you will get disconnected. I don't like this.

Like on normal phone call, I can go out of phone screen to my home screen or read my e-mails. With OOMA, if some one you are talking and he or she tells you to check your e-mail, NOTE that you will be DISCONNECTED.

OOMA Mobile APP only work from OOMA Mobile home screen, if leave that OOMA screen your call will be disconnected.
#66607 by hadam
Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:27 pm
After success with iPhone, I try OOMA Mobile App on my new iPod Touch. It work fine on new iPod Touch, call quality was good and all, but sound on iPod Touch is very low. On iPhone you can put iPhone on your hear and sound is loud enough to listen. But on iPod touch their is only speaker interface, and sound from speaker is kind of low. Is any one else has the same issue??

PS. I have used my iPhone with OOMA Mobile App (Via 3G) in my car bluetooth phone interface, it work fine. Please note new iPod touch also work good with my car bluetooth, but only when I am in my garage on Wi-Fi. New iPod touch has blue tooth and GPS in it. Along with FaceTime and OOMA Mobile App, new iPod Touch is like another phone, but only works on Wi-Fi.

Side note: OOMA Mobile App you can purchase once under your iTune account and then you can install on upto 5 iPhones/New iPod Touches. Also OOMA Mobile APP allow you to make phone call simultanously from more then one iPhones/New iPod Touch. So I am travelling in Europe and making calls from my hotel Wi-Fi via iPhone, at same time some other family members at work or college on Wi-Fi making calls from their iPhones or New iPod Touches to their freind.

Thanks OOMA good job here.