Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#64559 by blueOrbit
Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:38 am
This isn't so much a problem as it is a feature request.

Most voicemail systems allow the user to record a special "Extended Absence" greeting and then follow special procedures for handling calls when the out of office greeting is enabled such as giving the caller of the option of leaving message or ending the call.

As far as I can tell, Ooma does not have this feature and in order to notify callers that I am on an extended absence and won't be calling them back anytime soon, I have to re-record my personal greeting prior to leaving and then re-re-record it again when I return.

Anyway, if Ooma takes feature requests, I'd like to put that into the pile. If I'm wrong then definitely let me know how to find this feature.
#64560 by southsound
Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:43 am
This could be a great feature for a business system - and I agree that ooma might want to consider adding it as a feature for those who would like it for their small business that uses ooma.

But a word of caution - if this is your residential system, you may not want to say, "We're on holiday in Paris until the 28th of the month and will not be returning calls until then. Please call Sally at 800 555-8355 if this is an emergency." It will tell potential burglars that they don't have to worry about intertuption until the 28th and they can use U-Haul trucks until that date to clean out your abode.
#64563 by blueOrbit
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:06 am
Valid point and good advice.

In my case I work out of my home and use Ooma as my business line. For me the work-around is to forward calls to my voicemail number at the corporate office, but others may not have that option so that might not work for them.
#64568 by southsound
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 am
Also please pardon my lack of recognizing your post count and saying,

"Welcome to ooma and to the forum! We think you're going to like it here! :cool: