Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#64069 by angrysquirrel
Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:23 pm
Hello folks,

Been using onesuite fax as a fax service and found them to be very unreliable. I just need something to receive faxes with. Can anyone recommend a reliable fax service they use? Other option would be using ooma. I'm a premier customer with 2 numbers. I'm using one for home and one for a work line. Do I need to get a third line just for the fax? Should I buy another scout? I'm using core / scout ooma. Thanks!
#64519 by Davesworld
Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:17 pm
Faxing over the scout won't work well if at all. Even faxing via fax mode on the hub is do-able. The only thing ooma has for faxing at all is the g.711 voice codec. T.38 is a true fax codec, not many itsp's even support t.38 but rather use g.711 and tell you they support fax. Well, if you set the baud rate low enough it should work most of the time.

Bottom line, while faxing is possible on most VOIP providers (itsp's), without true fax codec support, faxing is very secondary and merely possible. I would never use such a service for dedicated faxing.
#65537 by oomg
Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:52 am
angrysquirrel wrote:Hello folks,

Been using onesuite fax as a fax service and found them to be very unreliable. I just need something to receive faxes with. Can anyone recommend a reliable fax service they use? Other option would be using ooma. I'm a premier customer with 2 numbers. I'm using one for home and one for a work line. Do I need to get a third line just for the fax? Should I buy another scout? I'm using core / scout ooma. Thanks!

Sorry to hear that you have had problems with OneSuite. My experience is just the opposite. I have found it to be almost flawless (I seem to recall their system being down one afternoon). As I understand, OneSuite is located in Los Angeles, relatively close to me. I know it shouldn't matter, but may have something to do with your experience. I suppose your email carrier could have something to do with the reliability of the efax system. FWiW, my incoming faxes go to both yahoo based accounts and gmail accounts.
#65677 by dschmidt_2000
Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:21 am
After AT&T increased my basic phone line (for incoming faxes only) by nearly $10 I dropped that landline and switched to Myfax.com.

For straight up $10 a month I now have a toll free number, plus all their other features. I should have switched over earlier.

You can try them out for free for 30 days.
#65762 by sanagnos
Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:49 am
Faxing is so-so, but you can get it to work if you fiddle with it and are willing to change your fax machine.

My old Canon MX850 wouldn't fax at all over ooma (maybe it worked 1 in 20 times), so I thought faxing didn't work well, but when it died I upgraded it to an MX860 and it faxes no problem on Ooma. This surprised me. Most of the other tips (like changing QOS settings or moving the ooma out front of the router) were not helpful. Of course pressing *99, in front is essential.

Al that said, I use trustfax, which is cheap and emails you your faxes. It is more convenient for receiving faxes. For sending, I still end up using my canon.

Take care,
S
#67025 by hanna
Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:59 am
Hello. Ooma Newbie here with a suggestion for fax service. lf you don't need a local area code and are not a heavy faxer, MaxEMail has a fax service for only about $2 a month. I've used MaxEMail for years, (paying much more for a local area code) and have never had a problem. At one time I had 3 numbers and when I cut back to 2 - I couldn't believe how fast and friendly they were about it. One call and they immediately cancelled the extra numbers and issued a credit. I tried a few free fax services but there was always a glitch or a catch. I finally realized a local area code doesn't matter and now pay $24 a year. I don't get faxes often but when I do I want to receive automatically. My only worry is how to send with an Ooma number without having to remember a sequence of numbers to enter first. Good luck! :cool: :idea: