Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#63932 by ba70
Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:44 am
I have read many posts on this board, and I think some of what I read helped me towards a solution. That said I wanted to share the details of my issue, and how I solved it.

Original problem: After my phone number was ported, I can only dial out, all calls to both our Ooma Temp number and the Ported number went to voice mail. Eventually service on the Ooma stopped completely, with just a blinking red Ooma light and buttons 1, 2, Play, and Fast forward lit up.

Resolution: My setup is a little unique (but keep reading).

I have two cable modems in my house.

Cable Modem 1 - Internet w/ router.
Cable Modem 2 - Internet and Phone (Supplied by Comcast) - This is where Ooma was connected.

Solution Part 1: I believe my cable company disabled the internet connection on Cable Modem 2 once the request to port our number took place. What is odd is that service did continue for some time (I was able to dial out without an issue), but eventually this went away too - perhaps after I powered down the Ooma and Cable Modem. Testing out the connection with a laptop I was unable to get an IP address.

I switched the Ooma system over to Cable Modem 2, and eventually I saw the Ooma blue light again. I was then able to dial out, but incoming calls were still going to voice mail.

Solution Part 2: During my many attempts to troubleshoot the issue with Ooma support, they had me use another phone. When I tried this again with Cable Modem 2 I noticed that the phone rang. Troubleshooting the issue some more, the dial in issue seemed to be related to the phone cord. When I used a really long cord (25 feet), the phone did not ring, and instead went to voice mail. When I went with a shorter cord (10 feet), the phone rang.

I'm still a little puzzled by the phone cord thing, the system was working with the long cords prior to porting my number... but whatever, it's working, and now I can once again enjoy Ooma.

Good luck to others, hope that this helps someone.
#63943 by southsound
Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:41 pm
ba70 wrote: Solution Part 2: During my many attempts to troubleshoot the issue with Ooma support, they had me use another phone. When I tried this again with Cable Modem 2 I noticed that the phone rang. Troubleshooting the issue some more, the dial in issue seemed to be related to the phone cord. When I used a really long cord (25 feet), the phone did not ring, and instead went to voice mail. When I went with a shorter cord (10 feet), the phone rang.

I'm still a little puzzled by the phone cord thing, the system was working with the long cords prior to porting my number... but whatever, it's working, and now I can once again enjoy Ooma.

I find it difficult to believe that a long phone cord could cause a problem unless the long cord was defective. I have run my entire home (length = 80 feet) and my barn (distance between ooma and barn = 300 feet) first from my ooma hub and now from my Telo. The ooma box emulates the characteristics of the telephone company landline - in other words, supplies the appropriate talk battery, ringing current and voltage to function with regular phones in a typical home configuration. As you can see from my own experience, a 25 foot cord is not a problem unless it is broken or possibly intermittent.
#63945 by ba70
Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:38 pm
Thanks for your reply.

The cord worked flawlessly the first three weeks of service, and was plugged into my wall socket, which enabled four phone jacks in my house. I have two 25 foot phone cables. I have tested both of them again, and find that I can AGAIN receive calls using the longer cable.

I remained puzzled about why I saw that behavior - yes, I guess they could have been intermittent, but the cables I used were never an issue in all the time I've been using them. By moving the Ooma hub to another room, I now have a much longer distance to cover to tap into a phone jack, so I'm feeling a little better after re-testing the 25 foot cables.
#64020 by ba70
Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:07 pm
I have moved past my issues, and again expanded the system. Because my Ooma hub is now relocated I needed to install a new phone jack in the wall, splice some wires, and run a line into my attic to attach the existing phone lines.

Once again all phone jacks are live, and I am able to both send and receive calls. My Scout is also working again. Woo hoo!