Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#62944 by GideonNewell
Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:12 pm
Is there a way to upload a high-quality audio recording file for my outgoing voicemail greeting? I'm hoping to avoid recording quality degradation from the traditional voicemail set-up via Telo device and the poor microphone on my handset.

Thanks!
#62957 by southsound
Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:16 pm
GideonNewell wrote:Is there a way to upload a high-quality audio recording file for my outgoing voicemail greeting? I'm hoping to avoid recording quality degradation from the traditional voicemail set-up via Telo device and the poor microphone on my handset.

If the microphone on your handset is of poor quality, doesn't that mean that the people who do reach you hear degradation in your voice when engaged in a normal conversation? The microphone on my Telo handset is actually quite good - and the ones in my Uniden handsets are also of pretty good quality. Not the warm full frequency response of a large diameter condenser mic or even an SM58 by any means - but still great for voice communication. If the handset you are using has a bad mic you might want to consider upgrading it. If you are speaking of a Telo handset and it is defective, I would call support and ask for an RMA.
#62963 by GideonNewell
Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:15 am
Well I guess it's an exaggeration to call my handset mic 'poor'; it may even be better than most. In the relative sense, though, anything spoken (or played) through air and into a handset mic gets compressed in the normal 'phone way'. Although this is normal and expected during conversations, you can always hear the difference between the greetings/prompts on a professional voicemail system on a businesses' PBX system, and one recorded in the traditional way. I guess I can sum up by calling it an attempt to skip the 'digital-to-analog-back-to-digital' step in the process.
#62964 by southsound
Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:01 am
I totally agree about the difference in quality. I think that also contributing to the higher quality are the special acoustic environment where the recording is made, the voice quality and training of the talent involved, and the "sweetening" process used to make the professional recordings sound so great. Unfortunately, even with all of the above, I'll never sound like James Earl Jones.
#63147 by Jerry_NA
Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm
Southsound said: "Unfortunately, even with all of the above, I'll never sound like James Earl Jones."

I'm sorry, but I just cannot wrap my head around the image of a raccoon speaking with the deep, mellow voice of James Earl Jones. The cognitive dissonance involved might even have fried several neurons, and I have few enough to spare.

That said, I'm a little confused about the original poster's question. Please educate me. I are just a simple biochemist.
Gideon said: "...skip the 'digital-to-analog-back-to-digital' step in the process."
You want to talk into a microphone and save your voice as a WAV file. I get that.

Here is where I get confused. Your handset is converting your voice (analog) to digital. I always thought that handset digital signal is going through your telephone wiring to your Telo, which is relaying the digital signal over IP to Ooma, where it is stored, presumably as some kind of audio file like a WAV or equivalent. Now you are implying there is an extra set of D->A->D conversions somewhere in the home. Given that my home wiring handles my DSL, why would the handset need to send its' signal to the Telo in analog? Do all new digital (e.g. wireless) telephones have to do that from the base unit to the telephone line output, in order to be backwards compatible with the oldest telephone systems? Even the Dect 6 Telo telephones that talk directly to the Telo base do this?
#63149 by southsound
Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:26 pm
I can't speak for what the OP was getting to (at least not with the deep, mellow voice of James Earl Jones) but I can shed some light on the analog-digital process used in telephony. Standard telephone signals traveling on your home wiring are analog. Your old corded phone was analog. If you have a landline, an analog signal travels to the telephone company's Subscriber Line Interface Card where it is converted to digital, multiplexed, and sent off to the central office in digital form.

The Telo PHONE port is an analog FXS port that mimics the connection to the utility - so a phone using it must output a standard analog signal. I have a Uniden DECT 6 cordless system plugged into the port on my Telo. Analog signals from an electret microphone are converted to digital in the handset using a G.726 codec at 32kbps. At the base, the signal is converted back to analog, sent to the Telo where it is changed to digital again using either an iLBC, G.711, or G.722 codec. I believe that the proprietary Telo handset may use the standard G.726 codec between the handset and the base but instead of converting to analog then to digital the digital signal is probably just transcoded to the appropriate codec algorithm to communicate with ooma's servers.

There is one more step that I believe the OP may have wanted to do - the process of "sweetening" the audio. This can include things like adding or decreasing dynamic range, adding reverb or delay, subharmonic and overtone synthesis, eq, and a host of other tweaks that can even make a raccoon sound pretty great.
#66778 by madmartian
Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm
I would like to be able to transfer files directly to the phone because I have created some canned answer messages with music and such. If I record them on the Telo by holding the phone up to the speaker, they sound like crap. For my old school answer machine I had added an external audio jack so I could plug an audio device into the machine and at least record directly from the device, but I can't even do that on the Telo. I will need to create some kind of audio jack to RJ11 adapter.
#66781 by southsound
Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 pm
madmartian wrote:I would like to be able to transfer files directly to the phone because I have created some canned answer messages with music and such. If I record them on the Telo by holding the phone up to the speaker, they sound like crap. For my old school answer machine I had added an external audio jack so I could plug an audio device into the machine and at least record directly from the device, but I can't even do that on the Telo. I will need to create some kind of audio jack to RJ11 adapter.

If you are handy you can pick up an audio transformer with 600 ohm impedance on one side and either the same or higher impedance on the other. Connect up the 600 ohm side through a switch to a couple of modular jacks so you can place it in the same circuit as your PHONE jack on the Telo. Connect up the other side of the transformer to your recorder and adjust the volume so it is appropriate. Then, when you are prompted to record your message, flip the switch and start playback. It should make as good of a recording as your previous system did. Here is a source for the transformers: Allelectronics