Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#60485 by craiglester
Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:19 am
While the incoming number blocking is great, I've got a situation where I need access to certain inappropriate chatlines restricted. Is there any way for Ooma to block certain numbers from being dailed? Right now I'm looking at having to switch off the ooma every day when I go to work to stop these numbers being dailed when I'm away from the house?

With Verizon I can block numbers using child controls (it's not free but it's a lot less than a $700 bill would be).

Is there any way to block a number being dailed, or are there plans to implement this in the future?

Thanks

Craig
#60496 by ntoy
Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 am
Hello,

Currently, there is no option to block certain numbers on outbound calls.
Other than locking up the Ooma as well as the phones associated, it would be an
enhancement request.
#60556 by southsound
Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 pm
craiglester wrote:While the incoming number blocking is great, I've got a situation where I need access to certain inappropriate chatlines restricted. Is there any way for Ooma to block certain numbers from being dailed? Right now I'm looking at having to switch off the ooma every day when I go to work to stop these numbers being dailed when I'm away from the house?

With Verizon I can block numbers using child controls (it's not free but it's a lot less than a $700 bill would be).

Is there any way to block a number being dailed, or are there plans to implement this in the future?

Thanks

Craig

How is the called party able to bill you? ooma does not support 900 numbers, collect calls, or other nonsense that could cost you money. What kind of service is able to bill you under these circumstances? Help us to understand your situation (type of service called and how billing is accomplished) so we can better help you.
Last edited by southsound on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
#60575 by craiglester
Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:05 am
Type of service is an adult chatline. There is no billing involved. The ($700 bill was for minutes used on the cell phone.

I blocked cell phone access using Verizons child control, however They started using the Ooma instead. I'm not worried about the bill.. I just want to stop them calling an inappropriate number. Talking to them hasn't helped. They just wait for me to leave and then they're on the phone again.

For now, I've had to remove the handsets. I was hoping Ooma might be able to offer a more elegant solution.
#60576 by southsound
Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:51 am
craiglester wrote:Type of service is an adult chatline. There is no billing involved. The ($700 bill was for minutes used on the cell phone.

I blocked cell phone access using Verizons child control, however They started using the Ooma instead. I'm not worried about the bill.. I just want to stop them calling an inappropriate number. Talking to them hasn't helped. They just wait for me to leave and then they're on the phone again.

For now, I've had to remove the handsets. I was hoping Ooma might be able to offer a more elegant solution.

I do have a suggestion that will work for you. It is designed for a single outlet, but by connecting a phone line cord to it and feeding the output to your home wiring, it could take care of your entire home. You would want to place the unit (and the Telo) in a locked area so that it could not be unplugged and thereby defeated. I've very familar with Viking products (being an old ATT/Pacific Telesis employee) and they work very well. The item I'm recommending is capable of restricting up to 40 user-identified numbers. It is easily programmed and even has a bypass code so you can restrict things and then bypass the restriction by entering the code. I've included links to product information and to Buy.com that currently has the lowest price of $76.03 including shipping.

Product Details: http://vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=238
Technical Practice: http://vikingelectronics.com/products/pdf/tr-1(sm).pdf
Purchase at Buy.com: http://www.buy.com/prod/viking-electronics-tr-1-viking-toll-restricter/q/listingid/24955069/loc/111/208442736.html
#60947 by bw1
Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:48 am
I don't know who "they" is, so you can ignore my advice on this. :)

I have a simpler solution and it doesn't cost any money. I think the PC way of putting it, is "tough love".