Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#60025 by Magnus
Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:03 pm
When calling 2 different "long distance" numbers (1+10 digits), both phones (different area codes) rang several times, then turned to "busy" (both numbers have answering machines). I can call my local cell via Ooma just fine.

I used Google Voice to connect the same numbers and the answering machines picked up on the fourth ring. Both rang well more than four times when I called via Ooma, so I'm not sure what Ooma was connecting to.

FWIW, 2 days ago I connected to a 3rd long distance number (a third area code) without any problem.

Any ideas? I power cycled Telos andgot the same effect.... local call to my cell is fine, but the long distance calls ring, then go busy.

EDIT: I think I'm starting to get a handle on this. One of the numbers I'm trying to reach blocks anonymous calls (I haven't checked the other). Since I have Ooma outbound calls blocked, that may be the problem here, although I did expect to hear an announcement that the line I was calling wouldn't accept blocked calls. I suppose that is an Ooma feature that isn't implemented? True?
#60029 by southsound
Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:53 pm
Magnus wrote: EDIT: I think I'm starting to get a handle on this. One of the numbers I'm trying to reach blocks anonymous calls (I haven't checked the other). Since I have Ooma outbound calls blocked, that may be the problem here, although I did expect to hear an announcement that the line I was calling wouldn't accept blocked calls. I suppose that is an Ooma feature that isn't implemented? True?

Actually, that would be handled by the called party - not the calliing party. ooma DOES give an announcement (something I just discovered) or you can send the call to voicemail for calls that come in without CID informaton. The problem is with the called party. Do you know who their carrier or provider is?
#60038 by Magnus
Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:48 pm
southsound wrote:
Magnus wrote: EDIT: I think I'm starting to get a handle on this. One of the numbers I'm trying to reach blocks anonymous calls (I haven't checked the other). Since I have Ooma outbound calls blocked, that may be the problem here, although I did expect to hear an announcement that the line I was calling wouldn't accept blocked calls. I suppose that is an Ooma feature that isn't implemented? True?

Actually, that would be handled by the called party - not the calliing party. ooma DOES give an announcement (something I just discovered) or you can send the call to voicemail for calls that come in without CID informaton. The problem is with the called party. Do you know who their carrier or provider is?

When I called the number via Verizon Wireless I heard the blocked call message, but when I called via Ooma, I only heard the phone ring (6 or so times, I don't recall) and then it went to a "busy" notification. That's how I came to believe it is an Ooma issue.
#62582 by DeadSerious
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:04 pm
Having the same issue, calling my parents. The "busy" signal seems to happen after they hang up on the other end. They answer, but get dead air, while on my end, the phone keeps ringing. They hang up, and I get the "busy" signal. They don't have any blocking on their phone (nor do I), and I've been calling them since I got the Ooma a couple of weeks ago with no problems--the problem just started a day or so ago, so I'm thinking it's got to be an Ooma issue as well.