Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#60033 by Zindar
Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:15 pm
Actually, if I can make ajw's suggestion work, then with the panasonic hub downstairs anyway, maybe I'll do away with the external answering machine, and use panasonic's built in answering sytem. The reason I haven't done this until now is because I have the panasonic hub upstairs, because that's where the ooma hub is, and whereas you can retrieve messages using any handset, it's more cumbersome than using the panasonic hub, which has lots more convenient buttons on it. (And we want to retrieve our messages downstairs.)

But I know that when plugging a phone into a phone outlet, I'm supposed to attach a DSL filter. I don't know how the filtering applies if I'm routing a phone signal into, instead of out of, a phone port.
#66953 by Zindar
Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:45 pm
Zindar wrote:But I know that when plugging a phone into a phone outlet, I'm supposed to attach a DSL filter. I don't know how the filtering applies if I'm routing a phone signal into, instead of out of, a phone port.

Even though I never got an answer to my DSL filtering questions, it's now moot, as I've switched from DSL to cable based internet. I'm still in transition because my router's not working, and I'm waiting for a new router to be shipped to me, but in the next few days my cable internet should be up and running, and I'll try this setup that's been suggested to me in this thread, and see how it works out. It'll be great if it works.
#66973 by Jerry_NA
Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:28 pm
The question of distributing telephone signal in a house with DSL has already been answered on other support posts, so I will not repeat it here. Yes, it is quite possible, with some very inexpensive hardware or a little basic telephone wiring work. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9389&p=65133
or
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8858&p=61851
or
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8731&p=64724
#73072 by Zindar
Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:49 am
Uh oh, I'm still having problems with my phone. To review, here is my new setup which isn't working:

I have cable based internet and the old ooma core hub (not telo)

Downstairs: cable->router->ethernet port

Upstairs in closet: ethernet switch that connects to all 5 rooms that have ethernet ports, so internet is distributed to all 5 rooms.

Upstairs in study: ethernet port -> hub , which has 3 outputs -> fax machine, computer, and ooma hub

Phone port of ooma hub -> phone port of wall

Downstairs in kitchen: phone port of wall -> panasonic phone hub

Downstairs living room: phone port of wall -> regular phone

2 spots around the house: panasonic handsets

Yesterday I tested all this out, and it was all perfect. I could answer calls from other people using any phone in the house. Call screening was working great (i.e. while they left messages on my panasonic hub, I could intecept from any phone and talk to them)

But today, something has changed. When you call my home the outside, it rings once, and the other person suddenly hears a bunch of static, and the line disconnects before I have a chance to even pick up the phone.

Does anybody have any ideas how to troubleshoot this? Is my setup bad, and done incorrectly?

By the way, my internet works perfectly, as I'm using it right now to type this. The blue light on my ooma hub is lit too, so that seems okay.

Also, as a test I tried plugging a phone directly into the phone port of the ooma hub, and have no problems answering on that phone. So the problem must have something to do with plugging the ooma hub into the wall phone port.
#73108 by Zindar
Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:34 pm
thunderbird wrote:Zindar:

Your already have most of the troubleshooting done. The next step would be to plug ONLY (don't include your home's other phones or home phone wiring, etc.) your answering machine into Ooma device phone port and test it.

That sounds like the setup I had before yesterday, which has worked for over a year. Recall I changed to the new setup in my attempt to get call screening to work.

Before yesterday I had my panasonic phone/answering system plugged directly into the phone port of the ooma hub, and then I had the wall port of the ooma hub plugged into a wall phone port, then I had a scout downstairs plugged into a wall phone port and a different answering machine and phone plugged into there. (I had turned off the answering feature of panasonic, and used the downstairs answering machine.) That works fine, except there is no call screening.

So plugging the panasonic into the phone port of the ooma hub works, but plugging the phone port of the ooma hub to a wall phone port is what goofs things up. And it's not like my phone line wiring in my house is faulty, because the scout works when plugged into that network.

It sounds like attempting to use my phone network with no scout is what's goofing things up, but somebody in this thread said I could do that (not use the scout), and it would be okay. In fact, yesterday it was okay and worked perfectly, but today it doesn't. Can somebody confirm if I really need to use the scout?
#73116 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:09 pm
The process is to try to troubleshoot and isolate what is causing the problem.

First check the answering machine with everything else disconnected, including your house wiring. Than test. If it doesn't work, than the answering machine is probably your problem.

But if it does work, disconnect all your other phones from your house wiring leaving only the answering machine connected to where you had it connected before you started troubleshooting. Than test again. If it doesn't work, the problem is somewhere in you house wiring.

If it works, go around your home and connect one of the other phones, then test again. If it works, plug in the next phone. If it doesn't work disconnect that phone and try the rest of the phones, until you have isolated and tested all of your phones. At the end of your testing, you should have isolated your problem.

Good Luck
#73117 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:31 pm
Zindar wrote:So plugging the panasonic into the phone port of the ooma hub works, but plugging the phone port of the ooma hub to a wall phone port is what goofs things up. And it's not like my phone line wiring in my house is faulty, because the scout works when plugged into that network.

It sounds like attempting to use my phone network with no scout is what's goofing things up, but somebody in this thread said I could do that (not use the scout), and it would be okay. In fact, yesterday it was okay and worked perfectly, but today it doesn't. Can somebody confirm if I really need to use the scout?

Hi Zindar, did you disconnect your house wiring from the telephone company by disconnecting at the NIB outside your house?
#73118 by Zindar
Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:11 pm
lbmofo wrote:Hi Zindar, did you disconnect your house wiring from the telephone company by disconnecting at the NIB outside your house?

That is a great suggestion. I never thought of doing that, and probably wouldn't have, had you not suggested it. As a result of your suggestion, I just went out with my flashlight, and did exactly that, and it totally seems to solve my problems. :cool:

I now have 5 improvements to my home phone system as a result of this great changeup on how my ooma hub (which has $0.00 monthly fee because I got in early, and I never subscribed to premier) is now hooked up:

1) Call screening works now, no matter which of my 4 phones I pickup.
2) All the phone wall ports are now usable, which means the extra phones I have lying around not being used, could be put to use, increasing my available handsets to more than just 4, and no extra cost to me, as I already have phones on hand anyhow
3) Sometimes when I haven't answered the phone fast enough, it somehow answers on line 2, while the incoming call is on line 1, and they went to to my answering machine against my wishes. This new setup I have today (with no scout) is all on line 1, so I alway connect to the call now when I pick up the phone.
4) With my panasonic phone/answering machine downstairs now (old set up required it be upstairs because that's where the ooma hub is), and that now being the answering machine I'm using instead of my old stand-alone answering machine, I have access to some of it's superior features, like the fact that the outgoing greeting, and the live incoming messages are audible (live) on all three of the handsets, which are scattered around the house on both floors, so that means I can do call screening from upstairs and actually hear the incoming message without going downstairs.
5) My kitchen used to have a scout, a phone, and an answering machine. Now it just has the panasonic phone/answering machine hub (one device), which has a much smaller footprint, saving space.

Huge thanks to lbmofo for solving my problem, and also to ajw522 who made the original suggestion of hooking the phone output of ooma to my wall + eliminating the scout to achieve free call screening.
#73121 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:21 pm
Great to hear :)

If you were using Ooma voicemail, then you could even combined the "phone" port and the "wall" port coming out of Ooma (using the splitter that came with your Ooma) and feed into the wall jack. This way, you could plug a Scout into any wall jack in the house and use it as a voicemail station.

But since you are not using Ooma voicemail, you can sell your Scout on eBay.