Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#3875 by nedrick74
Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:33 am
Hi All,

I just set up ooma last night and seems great so far.

However, I occasionally work from home and asked a couple of coworkers to call me on the new ooma number and they were not able to get through.
They got the "call cannot be completed as dialed".

I remember getting the same message when called my brother who had phone service through Cablevision.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ned
#3888 by southsound
Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:56 pm
I think I'd call that a blessing. Maybe even a new feature - push a button and nobody from work could bother me. (just joking, of course)

Is the ooma prefix one that is local to the office? Sometimes the area code may have some prefixes that require dialing 10 digits to ring through. We have that situation in the 360 area code and it shows up most when a person buys a cell phone and is not careful about the prefix they are assigned. Grasping at straws, but maybe have one of your co-workers try calling on their cell phone. If you can get some additional details, call ooma support. I know it takes quite a while to get through sometimes, but the calls are answered by knnowledgeable people who really care and their wait times are because of a huge upswing in ooma ownership. That's a good thing considering our service depends on the company being solvent.
#3903 by nedrick74
Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:49 pm
Ha! Maybe i can put in a new feature request to be able to block calls from work!

My coworkers always use 10 digit dialing when they usually call me at home. They are in a 201 area code and I am in 570 at home.

As I said before, it seems to be related to them calling to a VOIP service as i've had the same issue calling my brother from there when he got phone service through his cable provider.

Anyone have any ideas if the type of phone system they have would be the cause of this?
Its a large company and they have direct dial phone numbers for everyone. When you dial out, you have to hit 9-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx and it goes to a main trunk line and then out.

I am definitely not against calling tech support and dont mind the wait. I'm a big fan of ooma so far and am telling everyone i know about it.

Thanks,
Ned
#5303 by ooma-fan
Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:40 am
I had simiar problem, sounds like the local switch office did not provision the block of your OOMA number in time.
Get your new second line with another block of prefix number, 570-yyy-xxxx, instead of 570-xxx-xxxx, it should work.
Then ask OMMA support to swap out your primary number, if you prefer to.
#24529 by George
Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:47 pm
I barely installed my ooma and I;m getting the same problem. I already did an international call and just fine, did a couple of local calls and they were excellent but if anybody tries to call me they Keep getting the same message. "Your call cannot be completed as dialed". Can anybody help? is really frustrating!!!
#24532 by niknak
Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:55 pm
as previously posted above there is a switching problem with ooma's CLEC partner at your central office
keep a log of the dates / times / calling number and call CS - ooma engineers can use the logs to trace the call back to the problem
#24555 by hpepper
Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:53 pm
It could actually be the phone system at work. For example, we have an Avaya PBX at my work and it is maintained by Avaya. Anytime a new exchange (NXX) is added, no one can dial out of the PBX to that exchange until it is allowed (added) to the PBX... and we get a message like that when we dial an exchange that hasn't been added or allowed in the PBX.
#24557 by niknak
Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:57 pm
...My coworkers always use 10 digit dialing when they usually call me at home. They are in a 201 area code and I am in 570 at home...

maybe they need to dial 1 + area code
#24730 by nrs
Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:19 am
Similar situation in the beginning. My wife could not call home from work, but after speaking to someone in IT who contols the phone system, they "included" our number in their system and then she was able to call home.
#27773 by fjperez01
Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:38 am
Hi, I just got off the phone with Customer Support. I have the same problem as a few of you folks but it is only with certain outbound (I have not tried inbound yet)numbers and it does not matter if the area code is different. I had the OOMA Support person attempt a call to a number that I received the following messsage 'YOUR CALL CANNOT BE COMPLETED AS DIALED. PLEASE CHECK THE NUMBER" She also got the same message. Luckly, I have a 2nd line from Time Warner and the call went through so the problem is with the OOMA system. She finally cut a Trouble Ticket for me and hopefully they can get those numbers working. If any of you folks have had this problem, what did you do to have the problem fixed??