Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#58817 by BarryTurano
Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:42 am
I have been on the phone with tech support, but still can't remotely access voice mail. I call my number the ooma picks up and I press * but the greeting continues. Yet I can access the messages directly from ooma or from my land line wired to ooma but not from my cell. Could it be my cell? :?:
#58819 by bw1
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:05 am
Does it work from everywhere else except your cell phone? Did you try another cell phone?

You could try changing the DTMF settings (tones) on your cell phone from long to normal (short) or vice versa.
#58832 by BarryTurano
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:38 am
Have not tried another phone yet. Just changed the DTMF to long from normal. That did not change anything. I have a new cell phone coming in a few days maybe that will work. I am going to try to return to my land line answering machine (integrated in the phone) by changing the number of rings before the ooma picks up. I'll keep all informed.
#58837 by bw1
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:52 am
Do you have an integrated landline with your Ooma?

Did you try calling from another phone line that's not your cell phone or connected to the Ooma?
#58839 by BarryTurano
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:00 am
My ooma is connected to my land line. I have not tried calling from another land line. I will have someone call my home and press the * key to see if they get the menu. If they do then I know it's the cell.
#58841 by bw1
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:05 am
BarryTurano wrote:My ooma is connected to my land line. I have not tried calling from another land line. I will have someone call my home and press the * key to see if they get the menu. If they do then I know it's the cell.

Below is my spiel about an integrated landline. I would bet that is causing your problem. Do you have a Telo or Hub?

Q: What is an Integrated landline?

A: You selected “I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider” or "I would like to use the Ooma system with my current landline" when you activated. In both cases be certain to plug your landline into the port labeled WALL on the back of the Ooma hub otherwise it will not go into service.

Most of us here recommend not integrating your landline, whether you're just testing the Ooma service and will eventually port your number or even if you want to keep your landline for a backup service. The reason is that all incoming calls and local outgoing and 911 calls will be through your landline service. Only long distance calls will be through the Ooma service. Also, you give up much of the included functionality like caller id and call waiting from Ooma.

Once your Ooma device (Hub or Telo) has been activated, the only way to change from an integrated landline to an Ooma supplied phone number is to call customer service.

Q: I have an integrated landline with Ooma and I'm not getting caller id on my phone. Why?

A: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=194&p=685#p685

Dennis P wrote:ooma is only able to provide caller-id information for calls received on ooma phone numbers. We are unable to provide caller-id information on calls received on a landline (you must subscribe to caller-id from your phone company in that case). If you were to cancel your landline and pick an ooma phone number or port your landline number to ooma, caller-id would then be provided.
#58844 by BarryTurano
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:18 am
I am using a Telo. My land line is connected to the ooma and the ooma is connected to the wall jack through a DSL filter. I am having my phone number ported to ooma. I still see the incoming phone number on my phone. The call waiting is still working. It just seems to be remote access. I am having my son call here from his office. I told him as soon as the message starts to press * to see if he gets a menu. If he does then I know it's my cell.
Thank you for helping.
#58850 by bw1
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 am
It sounds like you do have an integrated landline which I would bet is causing your issue. Once your port is complete, I suspect it will be resolved.