Caller ID showing my number

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
jakeman02

Caller ID showing my number

Post by jakeman02 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

Hello, I just received a call from a telemarketer selling something as usual. This call showed up as my own ooma number on my caller id. After the call I checked My Ooma and it shows up as my number there also. Any ideas why a telemarketing number would be showing incoming as my own.

My number port has been completed 3 days and I've used and tested a lot since then. All incoming call from family, friends and other businesses have shown what they are supposed to. This is the only one, any ideas?

kdmc69

Re: Caller ID showing my number

Post by kdmc69 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:53 am

jakeman02 wrote:Hello, I just received a call from a telemarketer selling something as usual. This call showed up as my own ooma number on my caller id. After the call I checked My Ooma and it shows up as my number there also. Any ideas why a telemarketing number would be showing incoming as my own.

My number port has been completed 3 days and I've used and tested a lot since then. All incoming call from family, friends and other businesses have shown what they are supposed to. This is the only one, any ideas?
I had the same thing happen a few times. The marketeers can spoof caller ids pretty easily, I guess. (Including your own number.) Since I had the blacklist feature, I blacklisted my own number. I haven't had any calls "from myself" since.
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: 2 Telos + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

jakeman02

Post by jakeman02 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks, I considered doing that when it happened but it was my first experience of receiving my own number so I didn't know if it would effect calls I actually want to get or if it's strictly related to telemarketers, I'll try it.

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Another way to prevent callers from taking countermeasures like this is to NEVER blacklist into the message that tells the telemarketer their call is blocked. Blacklist calls into voicemail instead. That way they won't know they've been blocked.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

elsgy

Post by elsgy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:30 am

I had all my blacklist sent to voice mail but still saw my number in the caller ID. I blocked my number and will see what happens. If my number is blocked and I call someone with Ooma and they have the community numbers blocked will my phone call be sent to their voice mail?

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:10 pm

No - it takes many (?) users adding a number to their personal blacklist before it goes on the community list.
Steve