Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#57710 by arwild01
Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:56 pm
I should start out by saying that I'm not Premier and therefore not using GVE. I'm a Ooma Core user.

I've been a Google Voice user for at least a year and just got Ooma a couple of months ago. Normally I don't have my GV number ring my "Home" (read Ooma) number because, but today I needed to... so I went into Google Voice and changed the setting so GV would ring.

The catch was when I got my first call... I would try to answer it on my handset and I would hear the standard Google Voice message of "press 1 to accept this call". I would try and press 1 and I would immediately get an Ooma dial tone. The call would never connect. If I quickly then answered on my Cell (also rining because of Google Voice) I could go ahead and accept the call.

This is where things got really weird.

I wondered what would happen if I deleted my Ooma Number from my Google Voice account. So I did.

However, the very next time someone called my Ooma number directly... GOOGLE VOICE ANSWERS.

How the heck are inbound calls to my Ooma number getting routed into Google Voice? Fortunately, Google Voice does ring my Ooma phone and I can still Answer it but callers are getting the Google Voice call screening mechanism... which shouldn't be happening for friends/family members. I have no idea what number GV is seeing.

Is Ooma somehow forwarding my calls to my Google Voice number? Again, I'm not premier (so I don't get call fowarding) and I'm not using GVE. It probably should be noted that the "Mobile Number" that's part of my Ooma Profile does show my Google Voice number. Could this somehow be the culprit?

I missed the window to call Ooma Support tonight... I expect I'll have to try them tomorrow, but if anyone has ideas in the meantime I would love to hear it. I'm not enitrely sure if this is a GV problem or an Ooma problem.
#57711 by arwild01
Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:58 pm
In my rush to explain things... I left out one important detail.

I wondered what would happen if I deleted (and then immediately added back) my Ooma Number to my Google Voice account.

As my post reads now it sounds like the Ooma number isn't listed at all with GV. That's not the case. GV does have my Ooma Number listed as a valid "Home" Phone number and I did reverify the number with GV after adding it back.
#57712 by arwild01
Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:12 pm
Further evidence...

If I use my personal cell phone (which is also listed with Google Voice and has automatic access to the voicemail service) to call my "Home" (read Ooma) number. I get the Google Voice menu to place a call or listen to voicemails... just like if I had dialed my Google Voice number instead of my Ooma Number.
#58159 by rsg
Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:11 am
I don't have an answer, but I have regular oddbal GV behavior too. Without ooma or ooma gve. For example, I'm in Canada today and someone called my cell phone, which was set to not receive calls. GV picked up the call and emailed me his voicemail. The cell number is one of the GV numbers, but it is currently not checked as an active number to ring. This happens regularly, and I have tried all sorts of stuff (e.g. deleting and adding back the number) but nothing seems to work.

So my guess for you is it's GV, not OOMA. And I don't think I want GV to know about OOMA now, given your issues!!! I was going to try the GVE but am still trying to work out what it's good for. I cannot find a definition of a "Google Virtual Number" as opposed to say, a Virtual Number, a Google Voice Number, etc...

My Gizmo5 account tied to my GV account still works, but the whole thing seems to have stalled over the past 6 months with no forward progress that I can see.