Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#56834 by billtvt
Thu May 27, 2010 2:00 pm
I am trying to have my work cell phone calls forward to my Ooma system and then multi-ring to a second cell phone. The calls are forwarding to Ooma just fine, but they are not multi ringing my second cell phone. If I call the Ooma line from a different phone, multi ring works just fine on my second cell. Is there some problem in handling forwarded calls so that they then multi ring?

I tried to address this with Support, and they had me re boot the system. That did not seem to change anything.

Thanks
#56836 by murphy
Thu May 27, 2010 2:07 pm
When you forward your work cellphone does it depend on the called party entering a response to accept the call?
Do you have Ooma set to multi-ring your work cell phone? That would be a forwarding loop and they actively prevent that from happening.
#56859 by billtvt
Thu May 27, 2010 4:52 pm
No, my work cell phone is set to go to voicemail after 4 rings, but no user input is required. When I dial that phone number, it goes straight to Ooma, no problem. The problem is that Ooma for some reason is not multi ringing my second phone number (cell) which is the only phone I have set to multi ring. My setting is correctly set to "multi ring". If I dial directly into Ooma from a different phone, it multi rings my second phone number just fine. It seems to me (and I could well be wrong) that Ooma cannot (or is not for some reason) multi ring a forwarded call...???
#56872 by lbmofo
Thu May 27, 2010 5:50 pm
I've seen this before; apparently status hasn't changed.

Bobby B wrote:In most cases, if you want to Multi-Ring a forwarded call from a 3rd party number (as you're doing), ooma will not forward the call over to your configured Multi-Ring number.

The main reason we have the above restriction in place is to protect against call forwarding loops. There's a bit of development work and testing that needs to be added to ooma's Multi-Ring feature to protect against these types of call loops.

That being said, we should support Multi-Ring when a forwarded call from a 3rd party is received in the future. We've seen a few requests for this functionality when people are in the process of porting their number and they want to call forward from their landline or VoIP service to their ooma temporary number AND they want to use the Multi-Ring feature.