Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#56653 by AzJazz
Tue May 25, 2010 8:06 pm
I have my ooma voicemail set up, and I am seeing (or, more accurately: hearing) something really strange.

My setup:

• T-Mobile@Home VoIP is providing my existing phone service into the "Wall" connection on the Telo.
  • I have ooma Call Scanning turned "On"
  • My ooma Telo is the first device after my cable modem.
  • My T-Mobile@Home VoIP device is further down the chain, after my my router.
Here is the scenario:

1) I call my ooma home number from my cell phone.
    2) I wait until ooma Voicemail picks up.
    3) I leave my message, and hang up my cell phone.
Now, here's when things go funky. Normally, that's where the call would end. But here is what happens:

4) My cell phone is disconnected. However, I hear a busy signal coming from all my ooma phones.
    5) The busy signal goes on for about 30 more seconds, and then:
    6) I hear a clicking noise about once a second that never seems to end. I had the clicking run for another couple minutes before I hit the "playback stop" button on Telo.

Does anybody know what is going on?

At this point, I need to make sure that ooma Voicemail never picks up, or all my Telo handset batteries will be dead. Possibly the Telo speaker, too.

AzJazz
#56659 by Groundhound
Wed May 26, 2010 3:17 am
AzJazz wrote:
  • T-Mobile@Home VoIP is providing my existing phone service into the "Wall" connection on the Telo.
Does anybody know what is going on?

It appears that you have fallen into the landline integration trap when you registered your Ooma. If you search the forum using landline integration as the search keywords you will get a result spanning some 28 pages, and counting. Read all 28 pages and at the end of it all you will understand why most here recommend against using the landline integration option when you register your Ooma. If you decide you want to keep your landline separate, call customer service and ask them to remove landline integration and assign an Ooma number. If you later decide to port your landline number to Ooma it will replace your Ooma number once the port is complete.
#56693 by AzJazz
Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 am
Groundhound -

Wow. Wow.

That is impressive, and not in a good way.

Ooma needs to get their act together on this stuff. I have already had 2 tech calls in 3 days of ownership. I wonder how many people who are less tech-savvy return their ooma Telo within a week of purchase?

I have followed your advice, and acquired a Telo number for the interim. I have all my calls on my T-Mobile@Home service directly forwarded to my ooma number. It seems to be working better now.

Is there an option somewhere that will allow my Caller ID from my new ooma number be displayed as my T-Mobile@Home number?
#56701 by Groundhound
Wed May 26, 2010 11:37 am
Landline integration is an idea that is unique to Ooma, AFAIK; but its execution does not match their intentions. Now that you've separated the two services, you no longer need anything plugged into the Telo's wall port. Ooma does not allow CID spoofing for outbound calls (except as it exists as part of the Google Voice Extensions). If you are evaluating Ooma as a replacement for your Tmobile@Home number then the problem goes away once you port the number to Ooma. If you are looking at keeping both services, you may want to look into Google Voice as a front-end for all your numbers - that way you would only need to inform your contacts once regardless of what future services you use.
#56704 by southsound
Wed May 26, 2010 11:52 am
Groundhound wrote:Landline integration is an idea that is unique to Ooma, AFAIK; but its execution does not match their intentions. Now that you've separated the two services, you no longer need anything plugged into the Telo's wall port. Ooma does not allow CID spoofing for outbound calls (except as it exists as part of the Google Voice Extensions). If you are evaluating Ooma as a replacement for your Tmobile@Home number then the problem goes away once you port the number to Ooma. If you are looking at keeping both services, you may want to look into Google Voice as a front-end for all your numbers - that way you would only need to inform your contacts once regardless of what future services you use.

I totally agree with everthing Groundhound has said. As a GV user I find it to be an excellent front end for ooma - and you don't need Google Voice Extensions to reap the benefits.