Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#55884 by dbjeng
Tue May 18, 2010 8:36 am
Does the Telo unit have an audible beep with new messages? If so, how do you turn it on? If not, what are you supposed to do to know that you have messages other than looking at the machine? The Telo is in one room that I don't go into often.
#55886 by murphy
Tue May 18, 2010 8:46 am
The Telo does not beep for new messages.
The Telo handset blinks it's blue light and puts a message on the screen for new messages.
Any phone connected to the phone jack on the base that has a voice mail indicator light will blink when an unheard message is available. This is usually only found on phones that don't have a built in answering machine.
#56337 by Davesworld
Sat May 22, 2010 2:12 am
dbjeng wrote:Does the Telo unit have an audible beep with new messages? If so, how do you turn it on? If not, what are you supposed to do to know that you have messages other than looking at the machine? The Telo is in one room that I don't go into often.

The Telo is an ATA not an answering machine. The answering machine like features on the unit work completely different than that of an answering machine, messages are remote on a server, the buttons simply send the right digits to access them and play them through something akin to a speakerphone without a mic, this is why it ties up one of the two lines to listen to them.

I prefer having an envelope icon show on the handset LCD as well as receiving an email attachment compared to the twenty year old way of either remotely accessing your machine or waiting until you get home to check. You can even set voicemail to text your cell these days. Back in the dark ages when I relied on an answering machine, if it had a beep feature, I turned that off within a week. I prefer not to have something beep at me when I am headed to the bathroom to empty my post rush hour bladder.

Perhaps the answering machine look on the hub and telo is actually a hindrance that confuses people.