Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#55357 by OldMacGuy
Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 am
I plan to replace several phones that don't have caller ID with a cordless phone system. My ooma Telo is located where it is inconvenient to check the voice mail indicator.

Several of the cordless phone systems have a feature called, "Voice Main Indicator (Telco)". Will this Voice Main indicator work with the Telo unit or just with POTS phone answering systems?
#55358 by Hollywood
Wed May 12, 2010 8:10 am
I don't know the technical stuff, but I have a Panasonic Dect 6 cordless system (without an answering machine), and the voice mail led on the handsets flash when I get an Ooma voicemail. It goes back to solid after I listen to the message.
#55360 by sfhub
Wed May 12, 2010 8:10 am
It should work with Ooma. People have reported success with Panasonic and Uniden units. If you are using Hub+Scout, some people have noticed VMWI doesn't work well over the Scout, but works over the Hub.

Also, I don't think you plan on getting a cordless unit with answering machine, but if you do, be aware, sometimes the manufacturer drops the VMWI feature if you pick a model with answering machine.
#55395 by OldMacGuy
Wed May 12, 2010 7:02 pm
I purchased a Panasonic cordless three phone system that doesn't have an answering system (model KX-TG6413). It lists Voice mail (VM) access as a feature and explains how to access voice mail from a TELCO and set up the VM tone detection. However, I have been unable to get it to work with my Ooma Telo. Are there setting on the Telo or the Panasonic unit that have to be configured to make VM work?

Thanks
#55397 by sfhub
Wed May 12, 2010 7:35 pm
I don't know if Ooma is set up to access voice mail directly from your Panasonic cordless phone, just that the VM indicator, which is designed to work with Telco voicemail systems, should light up when your Ooma has a message.

In case there is any configuration in the Panasonic, Ooma uses FSK to indicate there is a VM.

The way I know to access voicemail is to dial your own Ooma number.
#55749 by bw1
Mon May 17, 2010 7:38 am
I have the Panasonic cordless system (model KX-TG6441) which includes an answering machine (which I've turned off). In the menu, under Initial setting there's a voice mail selection which allows you to store a phone number to access voicemail and a setting "VM tone detect" which can be turned on.

I'm able to access voicemail through the handset and the charging light flashes to indicate a new voicemail message in addition to a message on the screen.