Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
#54178 by newsong
Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:40 pm
I am currently using my two-month free trial of Ooma Premier with access to voicemail. My understanding is that if, after the trial period ends, I don't want to continue with Premier I would no longer have Ooma voicemail. I have read how to set up an external answering machine by setting it's number of rings before pick-up lower than Ooma's, but this is in the context of having Ooma voicemail. If I don't have Ooma voicemail, would I just use my external answering machine as I normally would?

Also, I believe Ooma Basic comes with caller ID in terms of viewing the phone number of the incoming call but not the name of the caller. If my phone has caller ID with the name, will I be able to utilize this feature if I am not using Ooma Premier?
#54179 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:04 pm
This rates page and blog will shed a lot of light on what you are trying to find out.

Voicemail is included in basic/free ooma package. However, you can still use your external answering machine; just set your ooma VM system to ring longer than your external answering machine.

As for callerid, with free/basic service, callerid name would not be provided unless you activated ooma Core (hub+scout combo) is what I heard. Note, most new phones will associate the incoming number with your stored address entry and display the name; if number is not known to the phone, name field will not be displayed.
#54222 by sfhub
Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:27 pm
Also retrieving voicemail remotely from your own answering machine won't work (incoming DTMF not supported) with an Ooma Hub. It wasn't working either with Ooma Telo either, but I heard they might have fixed it recently.
#54656 by theo1958
Mon May 03, 2010 1:51 pm
Regarding retreiving messages from an external answering machine... I just ran a test with my telo and Panasonic Dect 6.0 and I was able to enter my pass code from my cell phone and retreive my messages stored on the Panasonic answering machine. I was also able to make "set-up" changes to the external answering machine as well. :P
#54657 by southsound
Mon May 03, 2010 1:54 pm
theo1958 wrote:Regarding retreiving messages from an external answering machine... I just ran a test with my telo and Panasonic Dect 6.0 and I was able to enter my pass code from my cell phone and retreive my messages stored on the Panasonic answering machine. I was also able to make "set-up" changes to the external answering machine as well. :P

I am going to guess here that you are using your Telo with an integrated landline. If that is the case, incoming calls are routed over your landline and the DTMF is not stripped out as with VOIP. Could you be so kind as to verify if that is the case? If so, it may help others to know why it is working for you and not others.
#54661 by theo1958
Mon May 03, 2010 2:59 pm
hi... the land line is completely isolated from the OOMA setup. I kept it as a bare bones line for emergencies. My setup is simple modem--->telo<----router. The Panasonic is a Dect 6. model kx-tga740 with four handsets. I have one ooma handset. The cell phone is a cheap Motorola Tracfone. When trying to retrieve my messages in external answering device I had the answering machine on speaker phone setting, and I can hear the tones coming from my cell phone. OOMA does not overide any part of the system. I haven't the slightest idea why it works, but it does :?:
#54663 by southsound
Mon May 03, 2010 3:08 pm
theo1958 wrote:hi... the land line is completely isolated from the OOMA setup. I kept it as a bare bones line for emergencies. My setup is simple modem--->telo<----router. The Panasonic is a Dect 6. model kx-tga740 with four handsets. I have one ooma handset. The cell phone is a cheap Motorola Tracfone. When trying to retrieve my messages in external answering device I had the answering machine on speaker phone setting, and I can hear the tones coming from my cell phone. OOMA does not overide any part of the system. I haven't the slightest idea why it works, but it does :?:

You are indeed blessed! Maybe they are working on a fix and have rolled it out to "pilot" users for testing. At any rate, this might be a great time to buy some lottery tickets or go to Las Vegas (just joking, of course). I have tested my system using a landline and my Net10 (owned by Trackfone) cell and got the same results as others - DTMF was stripped. Interesting. Thank you for replying!